• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing the Great Lakes

my first trip to boji, made me an ice fisherman cool.gif

the water is very clear, and there are lots of good spots for several species. different spots tend to ice over at different times.

the north grade on spirit is a favorite of mine, but the old pads can break you off when those bull gills start circleing. smiths bay is a hot spot for everything as well as emerson and little emerson bays. the canals tend to freeze up first and hold gills and northerns. the north end of spirit is good for early ice perch on anglers bay. there are lots of other spots that hit well for others at times. definately worth checking out.

The only good luck that I have had has been on the IGL in the winter. It is definately worth the trip in my opinion. For me its about a hour; hour and half trip and I plan on trying to make it as many weekends this year as possible.

Saying you have fished Okoboji open water but never ice is like saying you`ve been swimming but never skinny dipping. The IGL`s were intended for ice fishing. Ice fishing is awesome at the lakes. You sit there looking down your hole watching the fish swim around. It can be a tough bite but watching huge muskies, pike walleyes has a reward all its own.

Quote:

You sit there looking down your hole watching the fish swim around.

yea, the first time i went perchin' on anglers we were in about 10' of water and i swear if you dropped a quarter on the bottom you could still read the date cool.gif

we saw everything that swims that day, even caught a gar grin.gifit's almost like fishing in the aquariums at cabelas grin.gif

Quote:

Which lake spots are the ones to hit for ice fishing then. I only live an hour to the west and have never fished the IGL. Think I'll do it this year though.

West Okoboji is awesome for huge Bluegill. Spirit Lake is good for Perch and Walleye.

Chad

This is really getting me pumped about getting up there. I have never fished the canals. Where are they? The only thing that I remember looking like a canal were the private ones by Emerson and Millers. Is that the right area? Are they private or can a person still use them? Is there one that is better than the rest? I would like to give these a shot this year. I have heard alot about them but never fished them.

The one by Millers is the one I hear most about. Some folks also fish Lazy Lagoon by Cuttys. Templars Boat ramp is the only one I ever have any luck in. Some folks have real good luck but not I. I think these bites are mostly over by the time you hear about them. The Grade on Spirit also has very early ice usually. I have fished it a couple times. Done OK there. Good Luck.

seems like different spots freeze at different times. the north grade of spirit and the canals seem to be the first to go. depending on the temps, i would say before x-mas. however, they had two ice seasons last year i belive. you definatly want to be sure before heading down there.

I have had good luck in Templers as well along with straight out from the park. I will have to try the canals, if I can. I am guessing that you can pull off to the side of the road and just walk out on them? What is the depth of these, are they fairly shallow? Just trying to figure them out. Hopefully by my birthday(Dec 15), I can get up there to fish them. That is usually when we have ice here.

you can fish on the water, access is kinda dicey sometimes. Someplaces you can walk across but the land is sometimes privately owned. Shortly after, 2-3 days, the canals are safe, you can expect some bays to be safe. These have great fishing also. Last year even with the warmup over christmas, there was always some safe ice. Good luck and it wont be long now.

For the most part both lakes will totally freeze up but if you decide to venture out to the middle of spirit you should probably on your toes. I am planning on getting on the ice somewhere down there this weekend if the weather does what it's supposed to do there should be enough ice somewhere.