• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Saw the post about the full moon and decided to go out

Oh man, that is NICE. Excellent comp and exposure.

I'm wondering whether it would have been better with the geese in focus and the moon OOF. Most times in those comps, the foreground subject and background non subject are too far away from each other for decent sharpness, but in this case that doesn't seem to be true, and sharp geese would probably have meant a moon sharp enough to tell it's a moon.

I've got an image of Canada geese on set wings coming in with the blue sky and crescent moon in the background, and the geese and moon are so far apart focus wise that it's hard to pick the moon out of the sky.

I like this image a lot. Either way there's a lot of impact here. grin.gif

A lot of great moon shots posted tonight. Took the camera and tripod out and took a few shots as well. Taken with a Canon 30D and Canon 70-200mm f2.8.

1/400 at f/5.6 Spot metered

moonxu3.jpg

A photo I posted a few weeks back with tonight's moon added.

superiorhg4.jpg

Quote:

No prob. I know you action sports guys don't worry about mirror lockup and remote releases much.

Some great shots here. Ken did I see a slight swipe at those "sports guys" back on page one? grin.gif For the record I use Pocket Wizards for all my remote work. I shoot two cameras at once a fair amount. Mirror lockups and releases....hah not for me, I like to be 1600' away when I shoot a camera! grin.gifgrin.gif

Really some nice nice photos on this thread, great work everyone!

Dbl,

Yeah, I think now that he's not working for the paper, action sports takes a back seat to his REAL work! I haven't gotten into the remote shooting yet. I've thought about it and have pocket wizards to make it happen, but have had my hands full just taking care of one camera at a time. Might have to pick your brain a little some time.

Well I don't want to be left out, however this was taken last night. We went down by the river to take some pictures for our christmas card at sundown and found the moon through the trees up on the hill. This was taken below the old Clay county Jail near the Bear cage.

fullmodified.jpg

Quote:

I was shooting three cameras tonight, two handheld and one remote.
grin.gif
That will keep you busy
wink.gif

Yikes, Dan, all that for MOON shots?? Talk about obsessive! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

But heck, three cameras is nothing for a pilot, right? You're so used to having to coordinate 17 simultaneous thought processes that you'd be lost with only one or two cameras. grin.gif

Now, Dan. I've spent lots of hours up with a Cirrus pilot and many others (I'll take ANY excuse to fly), and I know you fly fancier planes than that. There's no way you can get lost in one of those modern planes unless you're sleeping — or trying to run three cameras at once. Fess up. You were flying with two Mk2n bodies around your neck and another one on a tripod pointing out one of the windows. And at at the same time you were having fantasies about the 1D Mk3 and 1Ds Mk3. You can admit it. It'll just be between you and me. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

If you ever have a gig in Ely, let me know. All this online and e-mail talk is fine, but if you're going to be landing in my neighborhood it'll be a good chance to sit down for a chat and a cup of coffee, especially since we got our training at the same university. Different departments, though! grin.gif

Well ...since we're into "moonshots" ,I do remember one from last summer(same lake and time I took the dragonfly pic)....while fishing for those bull gills, Pic was taken at the marshy landing of the small lake (lakes about a hundred yards behind the marsh grass)...certainly not an "october moon" for size though! grin.gif

Frame_Frame_DSCF4160-8.jpg

All the moon shots are really cool! I watched the moon rising on my way home from a cross country meet. Didn't get to take pictures, though.

My youngest daughter's first words when she saw the pictures this morning were "Wow! What did they take them with?" smile.gif I am guessing she is going to try her hand at pictures tonight.

Thanks for sharing!

Some shots from last night. Almost had a heart attack last night when I uploaded them and they all had the same marks. found out that I got a scratch in my UV haze filter.I think my nephews might have been playing with my stuff while I was out fishing frown.gif Spent some time with Photoshop and some bucks on a new filter.IMG_2066pp.jpgIMG_2068pp.jpgIMG_2077pp.jpg

This is my try. I aint got a big dog camera. No detachable lens or nothing. I just zoomed it in for all she's got and tried to hold it steady. When it first came out tonight it was really a orange-red color. Wish I coulda held'er more steady.

dscf4285eb6.jpg