• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baiting or ?

Rippinlip

I do some bow hunting on a patch with some mighty oaks, but I was wondering if I could put lawn thatch and alot of acorns from yards that I pick up in the same area?

Would this be considered baiting?

Thanks in advance

Mark

I too would think that would be baiting...anytime you move a food source from one spot to place in an area you will be hunting I would think would be baiting.. now ifyou hunted from the tree that is dropping the acorns, that would not be considered baiting as its natural. Just my opinion!

I believe that its ok as long as the DNR cannot believe that you are using this bait to attrach the deer to the area that you are hunting. I guess I might just pick up the bait for the days you hunt or hunt elsewhere to reduce any doubt.

its hard to say. i think you are supposed to have all bait removed from your hunting area 10 days prior to hunting it. I would e mail the dnr and ask. thats what i do everytime i have a question i can't find the answer myself.

On the apple situation, I believe it would be baiting if the deer are traveling past your stand to get to the apples. I would pick up the apples within the next week or so to be on the safe side.

I can tell you that a conversation with a DNR officer did not help clear up the baiting question. There is a neighbor

that feeds deer all year round which holds a huge population and according to the DNR officer I spoke to if the deer are traveling past you to get to the bait it is considered baiting and would be illegal. Now, it comes down to the determination of the officer as to the specifics. Much like many of the rules in the book there is not a definate answer. I would say not to mess with the apples durring the season.

Quote:

I can tell you that a conversation with a DNR officer did not help clear up the baiting question. There is a neighbor

that feeds deer all year round which holds a huge population and according to the DNR officer I spoke to if the deer are traveling past you to get to the bait it is considered baiting and would be illegal. Now, it comes down to the determination of the officer as to the specifics. Much like many of the rules in the book there is not a definate answer. I would say not to mess with the apples durring the season.

A new law was placed in effect now - if you do not participate in the baiting of deer on adjacent land you are okay to hunt

Quote:

Quote:

A new law was placed in effect now - if you do not participate in the baiting of deer on adjacent land you are okay to hunt

One thing to note that was put on a previous post by Icornice was that you need to be the landowner to not be breaking the law. If I were hunting on my friends property it would be considered baiting, the exception is only for the landowner.

-Hossienda