• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Real or Not real

My Uncle sent me these pictures of a 55lb 56" northern Pike that took a bit of a 36" pike. Landing both fish in the net. If this is doctored they did a darn good job. Supposedly a New word record caught in Canada on Rainy Lake.

GuyHoldingPike-1.jpg

Guyholdingpike.png

Pikeeatingpike.jpg

I've had these emailed to me a couple of times over the last year, and that's the same question we've had. The only clue I've had is that the catch has been atrributed to several different waters both in Minnesota and Canada. If it is doctored, I wish I had those skills!

gotta laugh at how many people have recieved this email. I've been to many bars in the middle of nowhere with this picture posted up at the bar and all of the 'tenders claiming it came out of the local lake/river. It's been traced back to being caught somewhere in Europe. Many fish this size are being caught in Europe.

Here's the the true story about the first two pics, info obtained from RK (Rob Kimm) editor of Esox Angler. 3rd picture is not related, just a piggy back photo.

The first two paragraphs are a quotes from Jan Eggers, the king of pike in Europe, last paragraph is RK translating. Like I said before, how could one possibly make up the name Ewout? grin.gif

Chris

"This pike was caught on the 6th of March 2006 by Dutch fisherman Ewout Blom in a pretty big lake in the south of Holland, I know the name of the lake from where quite a number of 40 plus pikes were caught and released but promised not to mention the name to avoid too heavy fishing pressure.

"This pike had a length of 127 cm and a weight of 19,5 kilo and was caught trolling with a Rapala Super Shad Rap in perch colour and I have about 10 original digital pictures of this fish"

For the metric-impaired (such as yours truly), 127cm and 19.4 kilos works out to right around 50 inches, and just barely shy of 43 pounds...

I have seen that story as well - it came out months afterward. The 3rd photo is definitely un-related - someone just threw that in there. That one has been around for probably 5 years or more.

The Europe story is bogus.

Hi shogun,

Europe story is 100% accurate, not Namakan, not 54lbs. This fish was on the winter 2007 cover of Esox Angler along with an article written by Jan Eggers on the Dutch pike fishing. A publication, it's staff, (like I mentioned RK is the editor) would not publish a "falsified story" and/or photos.

You can go the the Muskies/Pike forum and search on "Ewout" and you'll see the direct post from RK from last year.

Hope this helps to clarify so people sound credible. I'll do that for FMers I've not met when talking fishing, but not with my own boss on work stuff, I'll let him talk himself into a hole! grin.gif

Chris

I heard the same story Cjac did, I did a lot of searching on google and other places like a year ago when I first saw the pictures, a friends dad said his friend caught it on Rainy so I looked around sure enought everyone was telling there story of the "FISH" but from what I can remember Cjac is right it was caught in Holland by the angler he mentioned.

I have a friend and business associate in Holland. (Who coincindentally will be here for his annual late Oct trip to Mankato - the guy loves Halloween.)

This was caught by a Dutch fisherman. The largest of the pikes are caught in Norway. They go to remote Norwegian lakes for the largest of the slimers. The Netherlands do have huge pike and zander, however. I have an autographed fishing book from a couple of Dutch pro-fisherman and outdoor writers. Very interesting how things are so different over there, yet very much the same.