• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"October pics" (w/comments about this photo sharing board)

Jeez, Jonny, I had photo excursion clients out today and I could swear we were in some of the same places as you. grin.gif

Very nice work, as always. I know I speak for many here when I say I value your continued sharing of your distinctive and excellent photography.

Steve.... such a great compliment !....especially coming from a seasoned photographer as yourself...I certainly realize I have alot to learn in the "mechanincs" of photography as in the exif data and all but everyone knows I use a "point and shoot"(I have it(data) of course but you guys certainly don't need my advice on camera settings ....I guess when I get "out in the field" the camera does 95% of the settings and I point it in the general direction and...you know...a picture comes out shocked.gif... grin.gif...maybe a little more then that tongue.gif....I concentrate more on the "composition" then the data but I'm having fun anyways... and you guys here on on the FM site certainly have made for a ton of knowledgeable enjoyment....after all...what good is a pic if there's no place to show it ....I have been to other photo sites through the years but I keep coming back to FM...like a second home to me....and I really enjoy the posts and input from all the nature photographers and nature enthusiasts(and hunters too!)....I was raised in the "sticks" and I guess it'll always be a part of me....the smells, sounds, sights.....I can only say that I wish I had a camera along years ago when I spotted that bull moose standing shoulder deep in a beaver pond near Isabella or an eagle swimming with it's talons clutched to a 3 pound northern 10' from me on sand point lake....a fisher dragging a snowshoe rabbit in the snow....I missed alot of great photo opportunities years ago for sure...the camera's with me all the time now on my outings grin.gif......even this foggy morning(mcdavit road, arkola road, overton road off of owl avenue) I saw 2 bald eagles(no pics smirk.gif) ton of deer in the fields ..my favorite areas are the Zim areas and south, the bogs and tamarac swamps of the sax bog...from Hibbing to Kelsy...never know what one will see in that area grin.gif

Johnny, I completely agree with Steve. Without getting all mushy, I have gotten a lot of inspiration from your photos and everyone else's on this wonderful site. You hit the nail on the head when you said "what good is a pic with no place to show it"!

Keep 'em coming. I won't get tired of looking at them if you don't get tired of posting them!

Mike

I'd like to add my 3c worth. I'm a member of a couple other photography forums and none come close to this one as far as involvement is concerned. After all, what fun is it to post photos if nobody has any comments about them? One forum, that I've given up on, boasts almost 40 thousand members. Yet, a person is lucky to get 1 response from a photo, unless you've been a member for years and have thousands of posts under your belt. I've noticed that there are also "equipment snobs" on the forum. Those types of people really annoy me. They act like if you don't have at least a couple grand invested in equipment, you're only good for snapshots. As Jonny has proven, it's not as much the equipment as it is the person behind the camera.

This is the first forum I check every morning. This one has the talent and the type of members I can appreciate. Thanks all.

I'm new to this forum, and too have belonged to others in the past. I must say I have been impressed with the quality I've seen over the past couple of weeks that I've been here. In addition to a lot of good photography, members of this community seem to really care about each other and obviously have developed many working relationships. I'm enjoying my time here and hope to be able to get to know you better as time goes on.

I have to agree with the general sentiment of this thread. I have been roaming around here for a couple of years now and I have learned alot about photography that I didn't allready know. I was born with camera in my hand and have been shooting an slr since i could walk but there are still a million things a guy can learn and yes it is fun to share. I am a little behind in my gear profile since a really nasty divorace cost me everything but my 35mm canon body and 2 lenses I have been rebuilding my gear bag but it is quite expensive as most of you know. I am trying to decided what to buy next a flash or another lense. I am sure I will pose the question to the forum here about what others like and as usuall I will get a couple different opinions for people who have experience with the products I am looking for.

I probably check this forum for new posts muliple times per day, and it never seems to amaze me the amount of quality shots that appear here. Keep up the good work everyone.

Any online board like this one of FM is only as good as its members. That means this photo sharing board is excellent, IMO.

I of course also frequent a couple/three other photo Web sites, one a pro nature shooters Web site and two others dominated by amateur photographers but with a few pros sprinkled in. Our community on this photo sharing board is small compared with many of those other sites, but we pretty much all are helpful and sincere here, and that goes a long way. There's also a lot of expertise to be shared right here. You can ask a question about most photographic topics and get a substantive answer from our folks at FM.

Equipment snobs are everywhere. I've shot next to a hobby photographer who was shooting the Canon 1DsMk2 and had all three of the Canon supertelephoto primes and couldn't compose a decent picture to save his life, but sure liked to talk about his equipment, and who looked downo on my middle-of-the-road gear. I ignored him. And many photo boards are full of posts arguing hotly about which piece of equipment is better than which other piece of equipment, as if that really determines everything under the heavens.

Equipment talk has its place, because of course equipment is what we use to translate what our hearts and minds feel, but the advice I keep giving clients is to get the best equipment you can afford and then forget about continually ugrading (unless you REALLY can afford it) and get busy translating your vision into art. The old saying that there are a lot more good cameras out there than good photographers is true, and many of today's point and shoot cameras and any entry level DSLR and decent lens are good enough tools for most any photographer to produce stunning works of art — if they develop their talent.

Anyway, enough about my equipment ramblings. Let the fun continue, and thanks to all of you for contributing to the fun. grin.gif

Quote:

I like the photo sharing board. Just one thing bothers me. In the pinned rules for hunting photos it says no sunglasses. Why???

In case you are on the FBI's most wanted list, we need to be able to recognize you for concrete ID, before we turn you in. grin.gif

Seriously, I have no idea.

Here is some pics from Today. Cant believe how warm it was outside. There might be something to this global warming stuff.

an old mine pit way back in the woods.

The water looked better in person, Im no pro on the camera, yet.

p2-1.jpg

p1-1.jpg