• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

opening day luck

jeff127

Saturday morning I go down stairs and wake my 16 year old up and say lets go. We were in the stands by about 5:45. At 7:30 I here deer snorting up the ridge by my Son. I turn around in my stand and see a nice eight about 70 yards away. We sat until about 9:00 and got down. My son had 1 spike and 5 does and fawns around him but there were so many eyes he could not get the shot.

We went back out on Saturday night around 5:00 p.m. and also brought along my wife's cousin that I have been hunting with since he was 12. He is 25 years old now and this will be the 1st deer with the bow. blush.gif I thought that he would have been frustrated with it by now because he hunts with my son I and we both take deer all the time. At 6:45 my cell phone rings and my wife's cousin (Tony) says I got one. He shot a big 9 point @ 5 yards. The deer ran 20 yards and dropped. My son and I did not see anything. End of the 1st day.

Sunday morning my son had to work so my father in-law came over @ 5:30 a.m. and we headed out. We sat until 8:00 and seen nothing.

Tony came over about 11:00 a.m. and we packaged up his buck from the night before until around 2:30.

Tony, my son and I were back in the stands around 5:00 p.m. At 6:15 I hear a deer snort and a big doe comes running down by me about 5 minutes later from my sons direction. At 6:30 my cell rings again and my son says dad I got one, so down the tree I go again and help drag out another one. smile.gif Even though I didn't see much it was great having the memories.

Saturday morning felt more like Oct 15th than Sept. 15th. Deer responded accordingly.

7:30AM a doe started down the trail I was watching and turned broadside at 12yds. My peep didn't turn correctly, so an easy shot was made more difficult than it had to be. I lined it up, let go, and watched the lumenock dissappear a bit high, but right behind her shoulder. After she ran off, the arrow stayed right where she stood, buried about 3 inches into the soil.

Another deer about 60 yds. behind her stomped, and I saw bits of antler as it walked off. It looked to be a really good buck, lots of white antler, but it was in so much brush that it was hard to tell. 20 minutes later, directly downwind of me, I heard quite a bit of blowing and wheezing.....circled downwind and scented me.

I climbed down, didn't find blood for the first 50 yards, but knew I hit her squarely. I don't know about the rest of you guys who trailed deer in Sat. morning's frost, but the blood did not show up well!!! Eventually, I found some splashes of it here and there.

She died on a dead run/skid and ended up covering about 120 yards. I hit her high in the right lung, low in the left.

Bummed about the buck, but I never saw him before the shot (I was actually looking to see if she had fawns or was with another doe), and really never expected her to be followed this early in the year.

At the same time, the monkey's off my back and I've got one in the freezer. I can now be selective during pre-rut and let all the does walk if I'd like.

Walerak and I hit the river and I caught a 19" eye, making it the first time I've shot a whitetail and caught a walleye in the same day.

On another note, for those of you who process your own venison outside....be careful. The hornets were terrible, and I got bit simply trying to turn the carcass a bit. Later, my son was eating a sandwhich and yep, it got him in the mouth. Bit his tongue at least once, but he never swelled up or anything, luckily!

j_bdoe.JPG

Joel

Saturday evening I hunted near Cambridge and didn't see any deer. Sunday I decided to switch things up and hunt near Forest Lake. With the wind out of the south I decided to set up on the ground next to a fence line. I got out there at about 5:30 and the mosquitoes found me right away. Finally at sunset they start to disappear. About 5 minutes after sunset I see a small 9 pointer head over the fence and into the alfalfa field. About 2 minutes later a doe follows the buck into the field. Long story short, right before shooting time was up she offers a nice quartering away shot at 15 yards. It doesn't get anymore exciting shooting a deer from the ground.

Well my first bow hunt ended up in disappointment. i thought I was all prepared, dead on at 30 yds so I limited myself to a 20-25 yd shot. And low and behold a doe comes in and stands broadside at 22 yds (after checking). She took two big leaps and turned to see my arrow quivering in the maple tree. I went and retrieved my arrow, not a lick of blood on it. The good news is I didn't break it! I shot right over her back, it felt good but I must of lifted my head to see if I got her...

Rookie mistake..Won't be happening again! I am hooked, i do know that!

Good and bad news. Out of 6 we got 2 does and an 8pt. Bad news is I shot a doe and we couldn't recover her. Caught the off shoulder and she made it to the swamp. Spent hours on blood and hours just looking for her...no luck. Those swamps are so thick and tall now you'd have to literally step on a deer to find it. Its too bad but at times a part of hunting, try to learn from it I guess. Good luck all, I'll be back at it soon!

Hunted Sunday night in Zimmerman over a bean field. At 6:45pm the deer started to come into the field. A small doe was first, followed by a 4pt, then a big doe, then a doe with a fawn came. All deer were within 10-30 yds of me. I decided to take the big doe but I found out it is very hard to draw back with so many eyes that close. When I would start to draw one of them would lock on me. Long story longer, 3 of the deer make their way down the field but the buck and small doe stay within 10yds of me feeding until 8:45pm! Finally I can get down. I told myself to shoot a buck bigger than I already have. I got a decent little 8pt last year. Congrats to guys that have already bagged deer.

Joel, congrats its always good to get that first deer of the season under your belt early. I hunted saturday night and had a doe and fawn come through, but they stayed just out of range in the thick stuff. Sure wish she had come a few steps closer, my mouth is watering just thinking about those backstraps!

Opening day I did'nt see a deer. Although my brother shot a nice eight point and once he let it lay awhile he had two more bucks show up, a small one and one he said looked bigger than his eight. Sunday went out and seen a nice buck at 35 yds but he would'nt stop and the window of oppurtunity was small as all the leaves and under growth. Went out tonight did'nt see anything in range but got to see an awesome sight of a buck rubbing a sappling but it never did come my way. Things are looking good so far though.

Went out tonight for the first time and seen 4 and a rooster. Had a doe come in about 20 yards and stop quartering towards me. Then she turned broadside to me but I thought I recognized her so I didn't take a shot at her. About 5 minutes later two of her fawns come in, didn't see her third one but I have a feeling it was just over the hill. After having those three little beasts sucking on her all summer she needs to hit the corn fields big time! Her ribs are showing and her abdomen area is really sunken in. Also had a yearling come in with the fawns, could have taken her out she was about 18 yards broadside from my ground blind but I let her walk too. Overall fun night!! If that doe comes back in a month or so from now and does that she might be on the grill!! It was amazing both the doe and the yearling looked right at my blind but but never got spooky from it!

I also saw a doe this weekend up close that was real boney lookin. I didnt see any fawns with her, but thats my only guess for why she would be skinny right now. Anyone else have any ideas on this matter?

Hunted all weekend. Let a 4 pointer go. Took vacation Monday bound and determined to get a deer. 6:45am a doe walks in and presents herself to me. Took the shot and she went down about 200 feet from me. Dressed and hung for 4 hours she weighed 80lbs. smirk.gif