• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What action and power rod for walleye jigging?

jonboy

Yesterday I bought a 6'8" medium extra fast St. Croix Avid. I've had one friend say take it back and get a ML fast and another friend that says get a M fast because they use different guides and are more sensitive. I want one mostly for jigging walleyes anywhere from 8'-25'. I have been using a Guide Series 6'6" ML fast and can't complain it's just that I listen to my buddies and they say I'll catch more if I used a more sensitive rod. The one thing I like about the avid St. Croix is it comes with a lifetime warranty. Thanks in advance.

I use an Avid 5'-9" Medium light extra fast for vertical jigging walleyes. Great rod for this, went with the shorter rod for a faster hookset, extra fast tip for detecting bites. This rod was recommended to me by a guide from the NW Angle. Try it you won't be sorry.

That's a perfect action for a jigging rod. Some may argue it's a little long but it should work fine for you. I know guys that jig in rivers prefer that exact rod you bought.

I have a 6'3" Avid in Medium extra fast and it is by far my favorite jigging rod.

I have heard of some people going to ML for jigging but most of them are using a super line such as power pro or fireline. You have a very nice setup for mono or fluorocarbon.

I believe different lakes have different types of jig bites, and that different rods are required for each. In Rainy River or Rainy Lake for example, if you feel the slightest tick, you can usually set the hook and catch the fish. A stiffer rod works best for this type of jig bite. On Otter Tail lake, the jig bite is much more subtle. If you set the hook on an Otter Tail lake walleye the split second you feel it, you'll miss over 50% of the bites, but if you wait 3-5 seconds after first feeling the bite, you'll hook up a lot more. A faster action rod is better for this lake so you can give them a couple seconds for that "second gulp" where they take the jig all the way in.

for any jigs under 3/8, I use my guide series tournament (higher end guide series)in a 6' ML F, I love it and I have no reason to trade it in

I don't like longer rods for jigging but thats preferece. A regular St Croix Avid Fast is already faster than your Guide series and it is plenty fast and that 6'8" will have a softer tip but not my cup of tea. Avids are great rods.

26 feet in a 2 foot chop, you will want that medium.

After using a repaired Guide Series rod that was missing the last eyelet and it was a MH action i was sold on a short stiff rod. I spent a long time searching the best i could find was manufactured by Bass Pro 6' MH action. Lots of guys like to use a braided line but with this rod i use a mono high vis green and you can not only feel the strikes but see them by watching the line. For me i haven't found a better setup. Yes st.croix rods are nice but my opnion very overpriced and for jigging walleye you don't need that kind of sensitivity.

I have found that the "action" specified on the rod is subject to interpretation. I have two rods, both about 7' length, both indicating that they are medium action but both definitely have a different feel. I have found that one of the rods is slightly heavier in the hand than the other and in the past I tended to favor the lighter feeling one simply because it was less tiring to use over the long haul. However I have recently changed my opinion. The heavier feeling rod actually has proven far more sensitive. To the point that I can feel a 3" minnow take even though I don't necessarily recognize it right away but that's a learning curve.

From what I have learned, a soft rod seems to sacrifice feel whereas a stiffer rod of the same action specification seems to have a little better feel to it. Maybe it's a matter of personal preference too, I don't know.

Bob

Quote:

From what I have learned, a soft rod seems to sacrifice feel whereas a stiffer rod of the same action specification seems to have a little better feel to it. Maybe it's a matter of personal preference too, I don't know.

You are right on the money with your observations.

Stiffness = Sensitivity

A meduim light power & fast action is my preference for depths below 15 feet. Just can't be beat imho. Any deeper and I feel you lose hook set power, especially with mono. Just too much play/strecth. In waters deeper than 15 a medium power rod is more effective and the x fast tip or fast will give you a better hook set.

Rods fall under personal preference more than anything. What I think may be the perfect match for jigging or riggin' or whatever may be someone else's last on their list. What I have done in the past is buy a handful of cheaper rods at different "settings" and tuned in to what I liked from there. My conclusion, in most cases, is that I prefer a 7', medium-light action rod.

Length is probably the most individual feel out of those options, I mean that different people like different lengths, and it's one of the lower factors. I would go with an extra-fast, anywhere from 6-7', and a medium or medium-light, depending on the rod. EVERY model's action/style/weight has a different feel to it, and I've noticed that even individual rods have slightly different feels then those of the exact same make/model. Go with what feels right for you, but the one thing I would definitely say is go with a fast/extra-fast action, because the added sensitivety is a huge plus, and you don't need medium/slow rods unless you're trolling. Stiffer is better, and the two factors that I think go into that are obviously the actions (fast/slow, and medium/medium light), but I also think the IM rating (amount of graphite) factors in as well. In general, I've noticed IM6s are a lot more flexible than IM8s. I'm practically scared to touch some of the $360 G Loomises at my work because they feel like they'll snap if you bend them with any consistency. Take an Ugly Stick and a St. Croix, both with the same action/length, and you'll see what I mean. Granted that I'm not sure of the action of the Ugly Stick, but most lower end IM6s don't have the rating on them. It could just be that IM6s are generally produced in more slow-medium actions than IM8s. Either way, that's my two cents, although I've probably written a couple dollars worth by now, lol.

I've been using my St. Croix Avid ML Fast Action rod in the 7 foot length for years. I like it because it doubles as a great Lindy Rigging rod as well. I typically would go with a shorter rod for jigging, but having the 7 footer IMO makes for a more versitile rig.