• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hand Auger Noise?

Since I am a novice at catching 'eyes through the ice...

Does anyone know if hand auger noise will scare away walleyes? Suppose it is 7 AM, you hit the lake, mark fish at 10-20 feet deep through the ice, and make your holes...are the fish as good as gone?

I try to be as quiet as pssible when I am on the ice, just wondering what the pros have to say about this...

Thanks,
ak

Believe it or not, a hand auger makes more noise then a power auger.
Been ice fishin ""hardcore" for darn near 30 years and I've found drillin a few holes actually attracks fish. Thats not to say start making swiss cheese at prime time.
Besides if you dont drill a hole how ya gonna fish?

I'm with surface tension....You have to fish, yoru not going to be able to lick yourself threw the ice, drill a few holes and deal with whatever noise you make.. I too have found that drillinga hole can sometimes attract fish.. but that was a SOMETIMES deal... I do think that an ice chisel makes the most noise. You can hear that rumble threw the ice hundreads of miles away!.. well.. maybe not that far!

I think of it like this: You don't walk out to your deerstand expecting a deer to be standing 20 yards away do you? And if there was a deer there you're not gonna set up a different stand just because you don't wanna scare him away, right? Get there early and get ready! They can hear it, and it may or may not scare them. Just drill several holes and hope they don't run too far.

Another possibility that comes to mind is switching time of day you will target walleyes.
Try fishing the afternoon evening bite.

Ofcourse, fishng pressure, sleds and ATV traffic during the day will effect things.

Get to your honey hole an hour or so before "meal time" pop strategically, a series of holes and wait for them to move in.

This is where I find tip-ups to come in handy.

I will drill a few "target holes", placing them in the "shallower" areas. Then I will set up a flag in one of the holes in "candyland".

Now I have an indicator in place for when the aggressive and hungry walleyes move in.

"Flag up"!!! Now it's time to re-set it and pull my bucket over to one of the other well placed holes, jigging!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

a couple times i have drilled a hole put a line down and had the bobber keep going, so i would bring it back up thinking the bobber wasn't waited right. i thought it was fine so i dropped it back down, and without stopping in the water the bobber went down again. set the hook and caught a nice crappie. in some lakes i dont think it matters if your drilling holes, on others it might.

------------------
Good luck sticking pigs this year!

I ice fished two days this week on a clear shallow lake 25' max., several times after moving the house with an ATV with chains and drilling 4 holes with a power auger, the walleye were more active right after the move then after we sat a while, this was during daylight hours in 14 to 18' of water. We were surprised that on a clear shallow lake that the results were similar to LOW, where several times we move and can only keep one line going for awile.

A couple of years ago Tony Dean did a noise study by sending down a diver with a hydraphone under the ice. They drilled holes with hand augers, power augers, and the ever popular spud bar. There was little to no difference between the powered and hand augers, just a slight whirring sound picked up. The spud bar on the other hand sounded like Omaha Beach on D-Day. Boom, Boom, Boom, when both attacking a hole or just whacking for an ice check.

out on buffalo bay one late march trip, we found our spot, drilled my hole and my bud takes the auger to do his, I had my tipup baited and ready to put down after I cleaned the hole. I no more than put the flag on the tripper, and turned around to head for the truck, 2 steps and I here this click, I turn around to see my flag up, instant 40"er, what a blast!!