• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Argo or ATV?

Swill

Does anyone out there have an Argo? I think they are pretty cool, but super slow. Max is 20mph. But, where i bow and duck hunt is a mix of marsh, wooded islands, and it would be great to use the argo for the muddy areas.

Also, can you use an Argo on MN Wildlife Management Areas and or State Forests?

I have seen argo's with duck blinds built right on them. So a guy could just load up the decoys, drive out, throw em, and hunt. Right now I have to push the jon boat because there is not enough water to run the motor or even float the boat! Tons of work, and not really worth the effort to get to the spots...

Thanks everyone-

Swill

I had a different brand one. They worked ok in water, worked ok on trails, but if there wasnt enough water to float it, and the tires in mud, it didnt work so well. You can take it in the water if you have a watercraft license, and can take it on some trails with a atv trail pass, but it must meet requirements, weight/width etc...

I think you have to be something like 20 feet from any motorized vehicle to hunt, don't you? In State Forests you can't drive in any swamps in MN as far as I know, unless you are on private property.

I would choose an atv, even though the argo's look like a fun toy for a second machine. ATV's have better motors, more clearance, and way more uses. I could see an argo making ruts and eventually bottoming out. I would take a guess and say that atv's have a better resale market.

my buddy had one with tracks and could go through anything. we even used it to go on thin ice to get to open water for fishing. But he sold it do to the fact that there is not much use for one, being slow and clumbsy and not much fun to drive. for the price of one you could get an atv with tracks and still cross swamps and have more fun

Im not sure how they work that since it is a vehicle, but I think they would look at it as a boat once its in the water. Im pretty sure you cant use it to blaze through cat tails, not that it would. With mine, once you got it to the point of semi-floating, if the tires catch mud on the bottom, you wouldnt go anywhere.

So can an ATV with Tracks go through knee deep mud or will it sink and get stuck? What about water? How much before they flood out or start spinning?

Can you route the exhaust upwards?

These must be reasons why most guys buy the atv. However,when I was a kid, my family used to have a Pug and that thing could go through anything.....

A guy that I deer hunt with has an Argo with tracks. It only gets used for deer hunting. The tracks are plastic with metal cleats. This year there might not be any problem getting to his stand with an ATV because it's so dry, but anyway, it was the only thing that could make it through that swamp to get out to his stand. As mentioned, it is slower, but that thing will go places no ATV can go.

I think that it is more of a speciality item and what I mean by that is that if you sold it, it would most likely be to someone that needs it for a special purpose or two. They are alot of fun to drive around grin.gif

Good Luck on you decision.

"hooks"

I've had two Max 2's a 14hp and a 18hp. They will go through things a 4 wheeler can't, even without tracks. If you positively absolutely gotta get there a 6 wheel or 8 wheel amphibious unit is unbeatable. Down side is the rough ride,rather slow and a lot of moving parts to maintain.

YOUR ANSWER IS HERE

Personally I think dealerships should be required to hand out a copy of the regulations with the sale of any ATV. Too many people just don't give a d*mn and plead ignorance or they don't take the intiative to find what the rules are.

I think it's great you're looking to see what's legal, but the DNR regulations booklet is the best source of information. In public forums, you'll find too many personal interpretations that tend to be swayed for ones personal use.

I checked out the DNR regulations book and if I am understanding the definitions right, an 8 wheel Argo is not considered an ATV, Off road motorcycle or off road vehicle becuase it has 8 low pressure tires and class 2 atv must have no more than 6 low presure tires.

For atv riders....

Can you ever ride in wetlands? I know it might be a stupid question, but am new to atv and orv. My buddies used to go "mudding" all the time in wet areas. Not sure if they were just flooded trails or wetlands.

Also the DNR says that Public waters where OHVs may not ride include: below the ordinary high-water level of unfrozen lakes, rivers, and streams;

certain wetlands; or in calcareous fens.

So does that mean you are above the ordinary high water level of the lake, stream or river you can ride in it? Such as the side of a wetland or creek as long as you are above the water line?

Man there is a ton of things to consider before riding.

Last question, what about mudboats? Like the Go-Devil or Mud Buddy? Go Devil's company slogan is the 4 wheeler or marine engines. And if there are too many regulations on state land to run an argo, what about these boats?

Thanks for all the great input!

Ok Dave I have a question for you, can you hunt out of the argo, if its in water? Since it is a motorized vehicle, and you have the watercraft license on it? I am sure I could read the dnr manual, but I dont want to, I no longer own one so Im just curious ?

Roofer,

you didn't say anything wrong. My comments were generalized based on experiences that we've had on past rides, (Rhino at Red Top).

Scott,

I haven't duck hunted for several years, so as far as using the Argo for duck hunting, my first inkling would be to say that as long as you're on legal waters where motorized vehicles (boats) are allowed and proper registration is in place, it would be ok. But don't take my word for it. For upland bird hunting, as Roofer mentioned, there are laws in place that would prohibit someone from shooting from the vehicle unless they have a DNR issued permit to do so. These permits can be issued by your local Conservation Officers. Before the laws changed for ATV's, my dad received permits to operate his ATV during the closed operating times of deer season because of health prolems. Now that the laws have changed, he no longer needs the permit. But he isn't allowed to shoot from the vehicle. He uses it to traverse longer distances across difficult terrain.

i am also looking at getting the argo 8 wheeler. i used to have a four wheeler,and got into alot of trouble in water and swamps. Basically if ur on a floating bog and water is seeping from the bog ur on a wet land and it is illegal. only costs like 300 for the ticket. even crossing a shallow creek or river will get u this fine. there fore i thought why not get the 8 wheeler. i asked it it would be classified as class 2 and if u want to use oit on a lake or motorized boat lake u need a boat license on it. i like it for the fact when ppl are pushing there boats through the muck just to get to water i just drive right past them. early ice fishing season and late season as well. even getting into some remote parts of lakes during the spring where the crappies are. i have ridden in a 6x6 before and needless to say by milacs on the floating bogs the wheelers come to stop quick and sink in. where the argo uses its low ground clearance as a ground pressure reducer u could say and it just keeps going.