• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shock covers -- worth it??

Dahitman44

I have never really considered shock covers in the past. To me they were just another thing to add that really did nothing. Recently I read an article talking about how much they can help when it comes to salt and rust.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? They are pretty cheap so it is not a big purchase I was just wondering if other people saw a benefit.

Thanks

Hit

Actually shock covers are well worth it. When the shafts on the shocks begin to pit or rust, oil can seep by the shaft seals and give you a weaker shock. When you trailer your sled, salt spray from the road also gets on the shafts which can cause rust or corrosion. On the trails, other sleds or your own ski can kick up small rocks, dirt etc... which can also pit the shafts. It costs atleast $30 just to recharge each shock, this is with out parts. Those cheap covers are well worth it in my book.

I normally just give the shocks a good coating of WD-40 before traveling and also after cleaning it up after a ride. Keeps the grime from sticking to the shocks and normally cleans off after you ride for a bit. (You can buy alot of WD for the price of covers). I believe it is use # 452 for WD-40?? grin.gif

WD-40 is a good rust prevention and anti crossion. I spray it all over my sled for storage except the plastic, track etc... The problem about WD-40 is is actuall attracts dirt. I know your not riding down a gravel road (ok, some do but thats not normal) there is still dirt in snow plus when the sled is on the trailer your kicking up dirt and salt which will stick to the shafts and can get in the seals on the shocks.