• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best video system for kids

Shorelunch

I have a 6 yr old that I'm going to get a game console for. I'm looking at:

1) Gamecube - $99, but are discontinuing console and games

2) PS2 - discontinuing games this Spring but great unit

3) Wii - $250, but don't know how he'll handle the controls

4) XBox 360 - now $349 for the premium

Any ideas on which is the best way to go?

My 4 year old does awesome with his Wii. Better than his old man, but I don't play it much, so I guess that is an excuse for me. Games are usually kid friendly and more affordable than the other systems- and the controllers are literally hands-on, making it really fun

My 5 and even 2 year old LOVE the Wii.

The two year old walks to the stairs, points down stairs, keeps saying "bowling?" "bowling?". We have the sports disc with ours.

The 5 year old just got done playing Call of Duty 3, which is a WWII game. I used it as a learning tool, to teach him about the war, as much as you can a 5 year old.

My wife's side of the family, all of them are either in, or have been in the Army, so its a way to show that way of life, somewhat.

Anyways, he figured out the whole game himself in about 2 weeks, and now is onto a different game.

He's all excited because Madden 08 comes out on Tuesday. He's been playing football with me on the PS2 since he was 3.

Absolutely go with the Wii.

Another vote for the Wii. My 5 year old does great with it, better than me with most games. Another good thing about it, is that it gets them off the couch and a little more active, at least when playing the sports games.

I have a 6 year old and an 11 year old. They both love PS2. I could not take it away from them and they have been playing for years. The other game system is N64. I bought one when they first came out, but it still works great and has lasted threw my kids from infants to now (they still play it). I have seen package deals at pawn shops, game shops and garage sales for very cheap. I have seen some with console and must have been 30-50 games for under $20.00 bucks. My main point is I would buy cheap. They bust the heck out of the stuff and it is out dated the moment you buy it. Nothing worse paying $350 plus for a console and going into store a couple months later and they have a much better "package" deal for $140.00. Been there and done that.

I personally will never buy another game console. My boys are old enough and if the PS2, N64 or orig. Nintendo system fail (do not let them play my Atari), they are on their own.

I try to get them to do the things I did when game systems were not available to everyone yet. Good old fashion outside time or fishing. But the game consoles do work well for corralling large mobs of friends that come over for b-day's or other get together’s. Always nice to have one for back up planning grin.gif

Good luck!

Quote:

I try to get them to do the things I did when game systems were not available to everyone yet. Good old fashion outside time or fishing. But the game consoles do work well for corralling large mobs of friends that come over for b-day's or other get together’s. Always nice to have one for back up planning
grin.gif

Good luck!

SB, I agree with the outdoors/outside comment. And not that I need to justify myself, my two boys are outside quite often, love the outdoors and read, play games etc most of the time. This game system will be "a reward" and some of those winter days can be long . . .

I see you are from Bemidji! I am from Princeton! I think when you are out in the country; the kids tend to get out a little more. Some of our relatives in the city and outer burbs have kids that live behind a TV and game console. I think they spend less time outside, because their outside has less to offer and their waist line shows it.

If I let my kids play video games all the time, I think in a couple of days they would get board anyways and head out to the woods or fields. No matter how fun something is, their attention spans are very limited. smile.gif

The classic controller is plugged into the Wii remote and can be used on games you can download. The Gamecube controllers plug into the Wii so you can play the Gamecube games on it. The Wii has yet to go to online gaming, but it will be coming soon I have been told. The one feature I love about the Wii is the fact you can buy a "points card" and go onto Wii shop channel and download old games like Super Mario from the original NES and Donkey Kong amongst other NES, Super Nintendo, N64 and Gamecube games. I want Mike Tysons Punchout to come out- but I guess Nintendos steering clear of his image and name now.

Tomorrow Madden '08 comes out, I'll let you know how it runs against PS2, play wise with the Wii remote and nunchuck.

Playing the shooter games, it's quite a bit like the same as PS2, only difference is that the controller handles like it's cut down the middle, so it's in 2 parts.

Yeah, I read the online review about it, it said that Bigs is a tough game.

I'm looking forward to see what they did with Madden (not to hijack the thread for the kids' sake) but supposedly the Madden people designed a version just for the Wii.

I figure as more people jump on the Wii's bandwagon, that more games will be made just for their setup.

Quote:

I have a 6 yr old that I'm going to get a game console for. I'm looking at:

1) Gamecube - $99, but are discontinuing console and games

2) PS2 - discontinuing games this Spring but great unit

3) Wii - $250, but don't know how he'll handle the controls

4) XBox 360 - now $349 for the premium

Any ideas on which is the best way to go?

Definetly the Wii, it will have more games with minimal to no violence, it is fun and easy to play and you can play all gamecube games on it as well as download games going back into the 1980's.

The wii is a great multiplayer system and is fun for those from 6 to 60.

I own both a 360 and a Wii. Personally I think the 360 is better for what I play, but I am very happy with the Wii, especially when my drinking buddies are over. wink.gif