• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jackplate on Bass Boats

bassNspear

i had one on my ranger. i used it to tweek the motor for the best height for running. it stayed at that pt. unless in got into shallow water. then it was handy so i could run a little shallower. it was usefull.

Quote:

Hmmmm, compensating for a poor design???

Not quite. Try maximizing performance. It's only applicable to big motors where items like this will make a noticable difference, on smaller motors there just isn't enough power there to see a gain in performance. Same goes for stainless props, as power goes up you'll see more and more improvement from stainless props -- small motors and they don't make a difference.

The performance gain from a jack plate is particularly noticable on bass boats due to their hull design, small pad at the back, low transom height, etc., but they'll boost performance on other hull styles like walleye, multi-species, and fish/ski boats too.

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmmm, compensating for a poor design???

Not quite. Try maximizing performance. It's only applicable to big motors where items like this will make a noticable difference, on smaller motors there just isn't enough power there to see a gain in performance. Same goes for stainless props, as power goes up you'll see more and more improvement from stainless props -- small motors and they don't make a difference.

The performance gain from a jack plate is particularly noticable on bass boats due to their hull design, small pad at the back, low transom height, etc., but they'll boost performance on other hull styles like walleye, multi-species, and fish/ski boats too.

Well, I was just "phishing", but, seeing as how you agree that they are needed to compensate for poor boat design...

I don't see how a boat, that is well designed, can not run properly with the motor the boat was designed to use. Placing the blame on HP is not a solid arguement. If the boat was designed for the maximum hp from the start, the jack plate wouldn't be needed. Why doesn't the boat get designed with a transom that extends out and up if it's "better"? For $40-50 grand, I would expect turn key maximum performance. Kind of like buying a Shelby Mustang or something.

Quote:

I don't see how a boat, that is well designed, can not run properly with the motor the boat was designed to use

I agree, you don't understand it. Regardless of whether it is a 17 foot boat or a 23 foot boat or anything in between, or a bass boat or walleye boat or some other style of boat, and whether or not the hull already has an integrated set-back as many of them do, a jack plate will improve performance.

That's not saying you need a jack plate to get good performance, it's saying that a jack plate will improve performance. It's simple physics with length and weight placement and thrust and drag.

I like them - although for 50K maybe they should be included from the factory or outfitter. No boat hull can be designed to run "optimally" regardless of all the variables than come afterwards (outside the mfg control). Some of the variables are: motor mfg (different shape LU), HP of motor installed, prop material/shape/blades, etc...

I had one on my previous boat but don't on my current boat. I miss it for running in very shallow water and for getting out of the hole faster which is also important in shallow water.