• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunset vs anti-sunset

I plopped myself down at an out-of-the-way spot I know at the Portage River out the Echo Trail from Ely this evening. My goal? Sit there and wait for that perfect sweet light and hope something would fly/swim/walk into the frame. Nothing did, but the clouds promised a nice sunset — and they delivered.

But I'm always at least as drawn to the eastern horizon during a sunet as I am to the sunset itself. Often, the opposite sky of the sunrise/sunset can yield something more interesting.

Here's a good example. Image No. 1 is a standard sunset shot, although the clouds here offered a much better than usual palette. No. 2 is the opposite skyline.

Clearly, there's more of interest than just the sky going on in image No. 2. A bit of water, the more dramatic swoop of the treelines on either side of the image, and the fact that there's still some light washing into the trees/grass to give the shadows some detail. In No. 2, without using a graduated neutral density filter on the sky, the sky is nicely exposed but the treeline just becomes a silhouette.

However, many, many people would prefer the standard sunset shot. I like the opposite sky composition better, myself, and partly because of that sweep of purple cloud mimicing the sweep of the treeline in the right side of the image.

Which do you all like better, and why?

Both shot with Canon Digital Rebel XT, Canon 17-40 f4L at 17mm, iso100, tripod

1/200 at f7.1

portage-sunset.jpg

1/25 at f6.3

portage-opposite-sunset.jpg

Steve,

I like the first photo best. I like the colors in the sky. I do agree with you that anti-sunset shots can be great indeed. This past winter you posted an eastern facing sunset photo overlooking a lake that was just stunning. If you recall that photo, I'd love to see it again. As always, both photos are great.

Thanks Steve. You post a lot of great shots, but that one has to be my favorite. I hope you have that one on display at the Grand Superior Lodge.

I like #2 better. I guess it is because the focus is not on the sky but all that is happening in the earth. Much more in the picture to look at. Of course they are both great as usual Steve, I just like #2 better.

Also if you could let Lisa know that I have not abanondoned the picture project but now it looks more like it will be a marble bench than a bronze plaque, size still unknown. The city has still not made up its mind! The wheels of change they turn slow!

Thanks Steve and all for sharing your pictures, I always enjoy coming to this spot. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Stf,

I like number one better this time. Lots of things to look at in those clouds. Number 2 is very good also though. That winter shot is way cool. I do like the area around the portage river. I was canoeing with the family on it a few years back and we ran into a couple of otters that kept us amused for quite awhile. As always great pictures. I'm thinking about my wife's Christmas present this year and I might have to give you a call about going on one of your guided photo shoots.

Chaff

Thanks, Chaff and Jimbo and everyone else. That spot on the Portrage River is one of my favorites, and I've brought clients there several times.

Jimbo, I let Lisa know.

Chaff, shoot me an e-mail and we can talk Christmas presents. I offer personalized gift cards for people who want to buy an excursion in advance. That way they can surprise the loved one with something in their stocking or for their birthday and still leave the scheduling for later. About half the married couples I take out involve one getting the gift card for the other and then booking themselves to come along.

Stf,

Sounds perfect. I'll send you an email. I gave her a guided fishing trip two years ago for Christmas and invited myself along. We went last August and went out on Basswood and she loved it. So did I. smile.gif