• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

arrow flying off to the side

USPENAMC

my bow is set up waiting to order my pre cut pre fletched beeman hunter ics 500 spine 25 length 60 pound pull weight.

now my question is my brothers bow he is 14 it is at 50 pounds 27 inch pull length. the bow will shoot well and all of a sudden an arrow will make a fluttering sound and fly off way off the mark to the right. so we tried that arrow and most the times it will fly right and then all of a sudden fffrrrrppp and flies to the right but that happens with all the arrows. any suggestions. too much weight. too little weight or any suggestions.

Sounds to me that the arrows are spined too low.

Try a stiffer arrow and see if that fixes it.

You might also want to paper tune if the arrow spine is correct. A left tear would suggest that the rest is to close to the riser (assuming a right-handed shooter) If you do paper tune, make sure you shoot a few arrows to look for consistancy.

Feathers or Vanes?

Hope this helps.

DL

Like posted above, first thing would be to check that you’re shooting the correct arrow for your setup. You can do this online at most major arrow manufactures web sites, otherwise check with your local pro shop.

Are you positive that it happens with any or all the arrows? Number each arrow with a marker or paint pen so you can keep track of which arrow/s are flying erratic.

Is it possible the arrow is falling off the rest and lying next to it on the shelf? This would definitely cause some erratic arrow flight. This was happening to my son occasionally and it was quite frustrating for him until we found the problem.

If most of the time the arrow is flying ok and then you get a bad one, its something in his shooting form. Watch him shoot, is he anchoring in the same spot? Sting hitting his arm? Getting tired? Not gripping the string the same every time?

Is he shooting fingers or a release?

If you can't figure out whats happening, goto a good archery shop and have them watch him shoot. They can usually figure out the problem.

Sounds like poor form occasionally. The sound you are hearing is obviously some sort of arrow contact. Usually a side to side error is from poor shooting form or a rest problem. If the rest was the issue than it would happen on every shot.

great info above! is he shooting fingers? if so, i would also guess shooting form. you must realize that any tiny flaw in a release can/will screw up arrow flight.since both of you are just starting out, BE PATIENT!! grin.gif good shooting form takes time to develope. del