• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Tasting Fish Through the Ice

What type of fish do you prefer on the table caught ice fishing? And do you prefered fried, baked, sauteed, etc.

I'm going to have to put a check in the perch column. Fresh perch caught ice fishing are awesome. Crappies and gills come in a close second. Put the filets in some shore lunch (a bit of cajun too) or other batter and fry till perfection. I'm geeting hungry just thinking about it.

Good Fishin, Matt.

1.Yellow Perch(deep fried in beer batter)2.Crappie (in beer batter) 3.bluegill (in beer batter) 4.Bullheads(fried in crisco)5.Rainbow trout(sau-ted in butter sauce)

[This message has been edited by Jig stick (edited 10-23-2002).]

I have a great liking for fishing on LOW once in awhile in a rented sleeper off Rocky Point. Nothing beats the flavor of fresh fried saugers that run small. They promote "catch and eat" and we listen.......ever eat some eelpout? I eat bluegill all summer long because the lake I'm on is loaded. Small walleyes run a close second for me to those saugers.......T

Depends on my mood. Here are my two favorites.

1. Any of the chars (lake trout, brook trout here), skin left on, broiled or grilled with skin side down, garnished with oil, spices and sliced tomatoes.
2. Pike fingers, lightly fried in Fryin' Magic or Shore Lunch.
3. Got a buddy who swears by a crappie fillet and raw sliced onion sandwhich on toast.

Nothing compares to the delicious taste of "Fresh Water Lobster". The backstraps of a big eelpout when prepared properly and dipped into a roasted garlic butter sauce is better than anything you could ever order at Red Lobster or any other restaurant.

Best way to prepare eelpout or bourbot is to gently boil the back straps in a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 7up or Sprite. Gently boil for 12-15 minutes or until nice and pearly white. Then grab a fork and try outstabbing the other guys in the group on the way to the butter dish!

P.S. Attn. L.O.W. fisherpeople!!: Please do not leave this fish to freeze on the ice. If you do not like the taste or are too much of a skirt wearer to keep and eat an eelpout, LET THE **** THING GO BACK one-who-thinks-I-am-silly!!!

I'm on LOTW 3 times a week at least in the winter and I don't leave anything on the ice so don't blame it on me! My Lab leaves things though! Gotta be those tourists! Iowans and New yorkers most likely!

Kidding aside my favorite eats in the winter are, in no particular order.

Beer battered {modified Drakes} Perch fillets.

Poached burbot loins with seasoned butter. These are also great in a chowder.

Broiled Lake Whitefish with Montreal chicken spice.

I don't even keep Walleye or Saugers in the winter except on occasion to give to my folks or the in-laws.

ccnyjr,
Its good to see another Shore Lunch Cajun lover. I use it a lot when fryin crappies, gills, and perch. Gives you that little bit of heat that goes along way. Good choice.

Good Fishin, Matt.