• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

xbox360 help

Meaney

Ok, first off, I have my computer and modem on the 2nd floor of the house, and I have my xbox360 in the basement. I want to get hooked up with xbox LIVE... Can I, or should I, hook up a wireless router, or run a long 200ft cable to the basement? I would rather not run a cable, the wife might be annoyed! But I am not too sure if the wireless signal will go that far into the basement. If you are wondering why not put a tv upstairs...well, I just bought a new 42inch plasma tv and that is set up in the "MAN'S ROOM" in the basement, so I must have the xbox down there, plus it is close to the beer wink.gif

What do you all think? Thanks!

Dude i would get a wireless router off the net somewhere. It will be really easy and look alot nicer!!! They one problem you might run into with playing on Xboxs Live is that you have to have really good and FAST interent!!! But man playing on Live is SWEEEEEEEET!! I wish the internet i had was faster!!! cool.gif

You should be able to get a signal down there. You will have to buy an wireless adapter for the 360. That's going to set you back at least $80 (hsolist) or probably 99.99 at a retail store. Then you will also need to buy the wireless router. I would recommend a D-Link or Linksys. That will set you back another 25-50.

If you are set on a location, my suggestion is to hardwire. As difficult as it might be. I think you will be happier in the long run. The connection is more stable, and that will make a better gaming experience and also for downloading movies and such.

As long as your making a "man room" might I also suggest a HD-DVD add on wink.gif

If you get a chance, download a 720p movie from marketplace. cool.gif

I was one of those yahoos running around trying to get one of these things during launch, so I've had quite a while to learn the ins and outs.

Any other ?'s let me know

At my old house we had the router/modem set up in my room on the second floor, and my roommate living in the basement never got a great signal. We ended up running a Cat 5 cable from my room down through the heating duct. We were using an older router, so maybe a newer one would give a better signal. But I agree with DTRO, a hard connection will be better.

Definitely hard wire it in. You will lag with the wireless connection and that can/will really screw up your gaming. (that will be your constriction point) I enjoy playing games either on the computer or through my PS2, and majority of the time I play online. Even though I do have the wireless option in my own house, I always hardwire for a much better connection. It would really suck to be gaming...it freezes due to lag, and next thing you know your dead.

Fish the wires through the wall and do some cat 5 plates to make it look nice. Then you can have your hard wire connection and the wife doesn't have to look at the cat 5 all over the house.

Thanks guys, hardwire is what I was thinking I was going to have to do. DTRO, yea I just got this new tv and love it, I would love to get hooked up with and hd dvd player as well...just got to save up for it now, I cant imagine how much they probably are.

Oh, one more thing! Will any wire work for it, or does Xbox have a special wire that I need to hook it up with?

There is an HD-DVD add on for the 360. It is $199, but you can find a coupon for $40 off at circuit city. $149 aint bad for HD-DVD. No special wires other than Component cables.

I usually play games like Ghost Recon (all sequels and varieties) I really liked Gears of War, plan on getting Forza here shortly as I have a wheel, and I'll be picking up Halo3 in Sept.

my wireless 360 is about 50ft from the router and still has a tough time with connection speeds sometimes.

the heating duct idea is good for hardwire! Maybe you can make that work? Fishing cable thru finished walls isnt something I'd be anxious about signing up for.