• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Record Fish Experience

recordgolden5.jpg

It's the last weekend in April, the weather is gorgeous, and a devout group of anglers is enjoying the fantastic fishing, food and cameraderie that embodies the Roughfish Roundup. I look forward to the Roundup each year, when I get to share the banks of the great Root River with friends old and new. The maverick spirit of the Roughfisher becomes contagious, and fellow anglers teach, learn from each other, discover new things together, and generally enjoy life. For me, this weekend was sandwiched between Steelhead camp on the Brule and Turkey hunting from a base camp high on a ridge East of Money Creek. I had spent more nights in a tent than in my bed at home this month. Yes, Spring is a busy time for a Minnesota outdoorsman. To me, I'd rather be right here, right now, than anywhere else in the world.

The Roundup was enjoyed by all, and by Sunday afternoon only Rich, my brother Corey and I remained. We had fished together many times. Today we landed scads of fish, including a few of the big Silver Redhorse surpassing seven pounds that the Root is known for. Action was fast, and nine species of fish came to the riverbank between the three of us over the course of three hours. I also had the opportunity to get out amongst the hordes of Redhorses stacked in the riffles, and take some underwater footage of these wonderful creatures. They were very obliging. Well, Rich had to head home so Corey and I bummed a few cold beers off him and headed back to camp. I kayaked the half mile to camp, and enjoyed a great ride over fast riffles covered with big Silver Redhorse. We had bratwurst to grill, so we hauled our cooler, grill and chairs down to Hogsucker Beach, just below the tents, so we could fish while we cooked our dinner. I caught two Brown Trout before the brats went on, then I threaded on a small nightcrawler and sent a cast out into the river. We each cracked a beer, and just enjoyed the evening air. It was a gorgeous evening, and life seemed pretty good sitting there on the riverbank with my favorite fishing companion. The sun's slanting rays lit up the top of the towering bluff across the river. Our bratwurst sizzled. Then, I got a subtle tap-tap bite on my light rod. I picked the rod up and tightened the line, feeling for the fish. Another two quick taps came, so I set the hook. A heavy fish throbbed out in the current. My initial guess was that it was another big Silver Redhorse, judging from the weight and fight in the fish. Once close, however, the fish sloshed at the surface and Corey and I both saw instantly that it was not a Silver, but a gigantic Golden Redhorse! Corey quickly grabbed the net, and I played the fish gingerly on my light rod and six-pound monofilament line. The big Golden made one last surge toward a submerged root, then my brother expertly netted the fish and slung it up on the sandbar.

It's rich golden color was beautiful in the evening light, and we both remarked that this was the largest Golden Redhorse either of us had ever seen. Acutely aware of the current state records, we put her on the scale and it showed 4.4 pounds -- which would shatter the current record of 3 pounds 14 ounces. It was too late to do anything with the fish now, so we took a few photos and stuck her in the cooler. If it fell short of the record, at least we would have some delicious Redhorse Patties for dinner! Our brats were now pretty charred on one side, but we still devoured them. Another beer was cracked, and I lit up a celebratory cigar that had been supplied by the venerable JK, 2007 species derby Champion. Thanks for the stogie, JK. I didn't fish, just sat there drinking in the whole moment and wondering what the fish would weigh on a certified scale in the morning. I slept well in my tent. Corey had computer work to do at the DNR office in Lanesboro, so I followed him in and told everybody about my fish. They were excited. I put it on one of their scales, not a certified scale, and it weighed 4.1 pounds. The DNR folks supplied me with all of the proper record-fish forms, and I headed to the grocery store in Lanesboro to find a scale. I slapped the big sucker on their meat scale, and it weighed in at 3.97 pounds. The two butchers were more than happy to sign as witnesses to the weighing, and I thought I was all set. However, their scale wasn't up to date on it's certification. It was two months overdue for calibrating. I needed to find another scale, and fast! We drove to Preston, where I found a grocery store and talked to the deli manager. He wouldn't let me put a fish on the scale -- health department, blah, blah, blah -- anyway, screw Preston. As it stood, I only had 1.5 ounces on the current record, and the fish could be losing weight. Next town was Chatfield on this driving tour of Southeast Minnesota grocery stores. And lo and behold, they had up to date scale certification! I put the big sucker on the scale again, and it read 3.97 pounds once again. My brother slapped my shoulder. " You did it, man. That's a new record!"

I meticulously filled out all my forms and had my two butcher witnesses sign, then strolled into the Chatfield Bank and had it notarized. It was official. I had caught a 3.97 pound Golden Redhorse, measuring 20 1/8 inches in length with a 12 1/2 inch girth. This was the first fish I had ever caught that I knew exactly how big it was. No stretching the truth here. All that remained was to have the fish identified by a fisheries biologist, and I was already certain that it was a Golden Redhorse. Back in the cities, I found out that my catch also eclipsed the All-tackle world record according to the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. Konrad Schmidt, DNR fish guru, confirmed the fish's identity and the state sent me a congratulatory letter. I will recieve a plaque from the DNR commisioner in a ceremony to be held at the Sportshow next Spring. I was also interviewed by Outdoor News, and a nice story accompanied by a photo appeared in the May 18th issue. The National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame has accepted my fish as the All-tackle World Record Golden Redhorse. This is really quite an honor for me, a humble Roughfisher, as I will be enshrined on the walls of the Hall. They sent me some really cool record-holder patches and a framed certificate. I am now in the process of finding a good taxidermist who has some experience with underutilized and oddball fishes.

So, that's the story. I guess it had to be told. I really do appreciate all the kudos, and will still give out autographs for a small fee, but in no time at all I'll slip back into the shadows. I'll be back crawling around the swamps looking for Gar, Bowfin, Eels, Buffalo and what have you, but now I'll have a really snazzy World Record Holder patch on my back.

Andrew Geving, Roughfisher-at-large

[email protected]

Andy,

That a well deserved accomplishment. Great Job. State and World record holder... You are the man! And to think, I fished with you the day before you caught this monster. I knew I was in the presence of greatness, but I didn't know you'd soon become a international celebrity.

Again, congrats man. That’s sooo COOL!

Awesome. I'm honored to be in the presence of greatness! laugh.gif

I would have to say that you've earned bragging rights in perpetuity wink.gif

I have to say that I used to be all gamefish all the time.... now I'd be hard pressed to tell you the last time I targeted bass. Rough fish are something else I'll tell you. once in a while I'll pitch for gators, but really for the most part, it's all cats and rough fish for me now.

Thanks, guys. It has been a very cool experience to say the least.

It's good to see the increased interest in non-game fish recently. Seems like once an angler goes Rough, he or she has so much fun that it's hard to go back.

Thanks again guys, and keep it ROUGH!

~hogsucker

That's a great fish man...I caught one on the Crow River yesterday, the first I had ever caught...Had I known the record was just under 4 pounds, I may have made an effort to have mine weighed, it would have given yours a run for its money. Next time, I'm bringing a camera.