• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rhubarb ?'s

bmc

I bought 2 rhubarb plants last spring and planted them on along a fence in my yard, a few feet apart. This spot gets more shade then sun. 1 of the plants died and the other one has about 4-5 stalks and is about 3 feet tall! I'm wondering if it's too close to the fence so it won't spread out? If the spot is too shady? Should I trim it down to the ground to encourage new growth? I just dug a hole in the lawn to plant it, maybe the soil isn't loose enough for new stalks to grow? I'm not Mr. Greenthumb by any means, just read what I can, plant, and see what happens. LOL

Brian

I won't pretend to know the answer totally, but I do knwo that the rhubarb we have had over the years pretty much preferred full sun. It won't spread in one year either, its a new plant for pete's sake, it has to get established before it can expand. If one live there, then they both SHOULD be able to. Anytime you plant something new, there is a chance it won't make it, who knows why???