• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Downtown Minneapolis (pics included)

Been just a bit slow here so I thought I would throw up a photo or two from the other evening in downtown Minneapolis. Just to give the folks from "up north" a little taste of what you are missing in the "big city". wink.gif just a bit of urban wildlife! Everyone have a safe weekend!

#1 Stone arch bridge. 20D, Tamron 28-75/2.8, ISO 200, f16, 20sec exposure in manual.

156154330-L-1.jpg

#2 Other side of the bridge. Same as above but 4 sec exposure.

156153725-L-1.jpg

#3 On top of the Stone Arch bridge. This one is a 15 second exposure.

156154940-L.jpg

For night shots I usually set aperture to f16 and then go to Av to meter, switch to manual and make adjustments based on looking at the results. For instance the first shot the Norwest tower, the big bright building in the center is what I used to make my adjustments, you don't want to blow it out so I made a few shots to get that dialed in the way I wanted, then it is a matter of doing some PP work.

In most of these shots I use evaluative metering which trys to make the whole picture properly exposed, so I just frame the shot and go from there with adjustments. Modern meters do a reasonable job in these types of situations. You certainly don't have to use f16 its just that I used that for so many years with film it gives me a good base to make adjustments. The cool thing about digital is you can experiment and make adjustments on the fly and shoot a lot of shots. Try a little night shooting for a nice change of pace.

Dan

Thanks guys, no that was not my shot in the Star and Trib, that was our old buddy buzzsaw, he actually made two editions this week, Sunday and last Tuesday on the weather page. He was with me on the excursion when this photo was shot last week. There really is only one good angle to get the best view of the bridge so everyone gets roughly the same shot. crazy.gif

Nice shots DBL, I like the colors in the lights. I also saw the picture in the Star Tribune on Sunday, it appears Mike is getting in a few magazines and newspapers these days.

Steve, have you been able to get some pics taken around the fire effected areas? I was thinking you could get some interesting images up there.

Thanks Dbl. Also, great explanation of your metering technique. Congrats to Buzz. I know you have a decent set of lenses, so why did you choose the Tamron? I may have to try mine out on the night shift some time soon. cool.gif

Bill, I've been too busy to travel there, though it's been on my mind. I just came back from a Bemidji wedding shoot, and I have photo excursions booked for each of the next three weekends (height of the wildflower season up here), so it may be awhile.

If I can get up by Ham Lake this summer yet, I actually wouldn't mind touring the area of last year's big fire, which isn't far from the Ham Lake fire. There should be some good images as the jackpine seedlings and other plants come in over the burned areas.

Quote:

Thanks Dbl. Also, great explanation of your metering technique. Congrats to Buzz. I know you have a decent set of lenses, so why did you choose the Tamron? I may have to try mine out on the night shift some time soon.
cool.gif

You are correct, I do have a bag full of nice glass but the Tamron was the widest lens I had with me. For a sub $300 lens it gets used a fair amount for various jobs.