• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yamaha kodiak

jtm

I've got a few questions on a 2002 kodiak 400 auto that I just bought. Is there any common problems with these? How many miles can I expect to get on this machine? I currently own a honda rancher with over 6000 miles and hate to switch brands, but I couldn't turn down the price on the yamaha

I dont really want to sell it. I"d like to have two, so some of my freinds without wheelers could go. the yamaha only has 600 miles and not a scratch. I"d just like to know what kind of rep these have, or any thing special i need to know. But if i dont like it I will sell for a rincon.

On another atv Forum I read plenty of articles on people who own this machine and most of them really like it. Here are some of the problems I have seen listed. Got stuck in mud hole or went through lots of water now the machine won't get over 10 to 15 miles per hour. Everytime the response is "you have water or mud in the belt housing...cleam it out. Another one is ...out trail riding this weekend and was stranded because the belt broke had to get a ride from my buddy.

Another one: Just bought a Grizzly 450,, great machine except.. Very loud.. Lots of engine noise and the muf is also loud.. Is this a factory problem with mine or just a loud stock machine??

Response:this machine has an unusual amount of top end noise, just the way it is designed, no worry, just make sure you keep valves adjusted.

Another One: I have a Yamaha 2001 Kodiak 400 4x4 ATV and currently I am experiencing fuel overflow into my cylinder head from the carburetor. When engine is idleing it runs a little rough and then when I hit the throtle I get over spray from breather tube on cylinder head into the intake. The fuel coming out of the head is not pure gas but almost looks as though there is oil in the mixture. This is a 4 stroke so there is no oil gas mixture used for fuel. Does anyone know what I might need to do to fix this problem?

Another one: Lots of people complain about rear brakes squealing.

This is just what I found in 10 minutes of looking. Now Yamaha lovers don't get me wrong their were lots more people saying they love the machine then people complaining about them. These were just some of the things I seen that looked to be common among the complainers or people looking to fix.

jtm:

I have the same machine and have had it since 03. I can honestly say the only problem I've had is a dead battery last fall. It runs great, all the time. Glad to hear you got a great deal on it. I'd keep it if I were you...IMO, the Kodiaks have a very good reputation and are one solid 4 wheeler.

Quote:

jtm:

I have the same machine and have had it since 03. I can honestly say the only problem I've had is a dead battery last fall. It runs great, all the time. Glad to hear you got a great deal on it. I'd keep it if I were you...IMO, the Kodiaks have a very good reputation and are one solid 4 wheeler.

This is an example of a lot of posts on the forum I ws quoting from. Lots of people were happy with them. At least with a Honda....you will always get home unless the wheels fall off or you run out of gas.

A friend of mine has an 04 kodiak 400. He beats the tar out of it. Still runs great! He loves the machine!

The water getting in to the belt thing, is because the intake snorkle is even with the racks on it, and if the water goes over the racks, it sucks up water. I have the grizzly 660, same thing!

As for the belts breaking, I havent ever seen it happen , or heard of it from the dealer I do my business from. Not saying it cant happen, just I dont think its comon.

As I said this friend of mine beatsthe tar out of it. I will give you a list of things he has done to it.

Rear brakes

Left front headlight

Rear shaft seal

He just bought a new grizzly 700, and kept the kodiak 400, said it is to nice to get rid of.

thanks for the all the replies. I can pick it up on friday and will be taking it on a hard run on sat at the foothills spider lake area. If any troubles probally will report. Is anybody going to be up here this weekend?

Had a 2000 Kodiak and loved it. The only thing I had was to fix brakes after every season. Course we lived in the mud. Also had to drain the belt housing also but that was easy to do. Plowed tons of snow with it and it always started in the winter. Had it stolen.

Quote:

The broken belt thing is Wayyy out there. Yamaha's are great machines, I wouldn't hesitate to own one.

Just for myself I'd like a little information on why that is way out there. If people have a problem with water or mud getting in the belt housing. Then they have problems getting going would that not be because the belt is slipping? I have never been inside there so i don't know what it looks like. I would think that if you countinue to ride it to say get home that the belt could very easily burn out. I have never owned anything that is belt driven to have this problem. Not even a snowmobile and I know they have belts that break.

Water in the belt can happen to any machine with a belt. The point is that the machines with a belt probably CAN get to places where it can happen and a Rancher would be swallowed by a hole earlier in the ride. haha

You will like the Kodiak much more than the Honda, just for the fun factor. In '02 it was a good year because it was before they went cheaper on the kodiaks. As you can see now, they are sticking the money in the Grizzly name.

It's nice having two machines, but it kinda sucks getting partial to one if you don't have two riders. The other just sits there.

What day do you plan on being up by the soo line?

At least when you get the Rancher out you don't have to worry about it not wanting to move again. I have seen lots of machines get stuck. Probably every Brand besides a Can-Am (Because I have yet to see one). But I'm sure I could get it stuck.

The water and mud get in to the clutches, and the rollers, dogs wont move, therefore, the clutches will stick in the slow take off position, and wont move to make the machine go faster. It has never left me stranded, just left me going 15mph, didnt slip though.

Now the non belt driven dont have this problem, such as the rincon. They have a tranny like a car, therefore if water gets into that, it will be alot more costly than 30 minutes of your time cleaning out your belt/clutch. Another thing I have noticed with the rincon is on steep grades, the tranny has nuetralized. The fluid will float away from the pick up tube. I have seen it happen 2 times, once pulling the wheeler out of the mud, the back was down and the front was way up in the air, not straight, and it wouldnt spin the tires, the other time was when we were climbing steep hills, the front started to go over, and I was spotting for the rincon, I grabbed the front rack, as I did it nuetralized, rolled down the hill.

There are advantages over both types of these machines, and if driven in a normal matter , you shouldnt have any problems with either.

Godd luck and enjoy your new ride.

All machines get stuck.All machines have goods and bads.The belt drives from Yamaha's are the best out there, followed by Suzuki, and Arctic Cat. If you push your machine to it's limits you will find out it's weak points.Belts will get wet when you hit to deep of water, and go past the tranny vent.I have seen belts slip, but never brake.

Quote:

All machines get stuck.All machines have goods and bads.The belt drives from Yamaha's are the best out there, followed by Suzuki, and Arctic Cat. If you push your machine to it's limits you will find out it's weak points.Belts will get wet when you hit to deep of water, and go past the tranny vent.I have seen belts slip, but never brake.

Where does the can am come into your list of machines?

and brake is (break)

Thank You for answering the question. I do know exactly how a Honda Works but never dug into a Yamaha. I could also see how that could happen to the Honda Tranny. But as someone else stated the belts do slip and we all know that wears out a belt. Sooner or later all belts need to be replaced and if your not one of the people who takes care of your machine a belt breaking could happen.

Can-Am....the motor is great, the rest is [PoorWordUsage] IMO

I have no first hand experience, but it seems all the machines are tougher than a Bomb, BRP, Can-AM, whatever it is next year.

They all can improve one way or another though, right.

Quote:

Can-Am....the motor is great, the rest is
[PoorWordUsage]
IMO

I have no first hand experience, but it seems all the machines are tougher than a Bomb, BRP, Can-AM, whatever it is next year.

They all can improve one way or another though, right.

I agrre with you an ALL improving, if you any machine hard like your supposed to, there will be weak points.

But my can am is so much better then my Sportsman

Sorry about the spelling! Any how I can't tell you much about Can Am's as I have never ridden with one, or know anyone who owns one.From the reading I do the people that own the 500-800 say to purchase skid plates as a first thing on the to -do list. They are a little over priced if you ask me.You spend that much money on a machine and you have to buy skid plates for it? I would really like to put one through the paces though, and see if they hold up?

Quote:

Sorry about the spelling! Any how I can't tell you much about Can Am's as I have never ridden with one, or know anyone who owns one.From the reading I do the people that own the 500-800 say to purchase skid plates as a first thing on the to -do list. They are a little over priced if you ask me.You spend that much money on a machine and you have to buy skid plates for it? I would really like to put one through the paces though, and see if they hold up?

I agree, I spent plenty, would never have got one unless I sold the Sportsman. So then in my little justification, I was kinda starting from zero, know what I mean 5k sold, and 4.5k and I'm in on a C/A. But yes 9k and still need skids, kinda joke if ya ask me. I think it's the best ride I've had, no comparison to the Sportsman, heard good thing on the king quad and the Grizzly too. But more on C/A,, maybe cause thats what I was looking for,,lol

I rode buddies and swore I'd have one by fall. and here I am..,,,