• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evinrude Etec

I have not owned an E-tec, but I would like to. Everything I have read about them looks good. Great mileage, power, acceleration and emissions. All with the ease of operation of a 2 stroke, not to mention the smaller size (weight) and great warranty.

Do your research. I owned one and found they are not all they are cracked up to be. There is a lot of advertising hype out there about the E-tec. I think they are pretty decent motors but I had more trouble with mine then with my old motor which as a 1998 90 HP Mercury.

Ask around at repair shops and you will find that the E-Tecs are not all they are hiped up to be. I work w/someone who has one and he can't get rid of it soon enough. It's a great warranty, but whats the point if it's in the shop more times than not.

I have had my 75 E-Tec to the shop three times in the past month and a half. This is a one year old motor. I would not buy another one. The waranty is good but hauling it back and forth 150 miles round trip at $3.00 plus gas is not making me very happy. Should have stayed with a merc.

My dads got a 40hp and loves it. He has not had one issue in the past year that he has owned it. I would like one.....I guess I need a boat first! Hopefully next spring I will have one in my garage!!!

Can you guys let us know what your specifc issues have been with your e-tecs?

Every motor brand has issues with their motors - all of them - Merc, Yammy, Evinrude, Suzy and Honda. I've heard great things about each brand and style from many, many anglers and I've heard negatives about every brand of motor.

After riding and driving E-Tecs all last year, I would pick up one in a heartbeat. I also wouldn't lose any sleep if I had any other brand of outboard.

I've got a brand new E Tec 115 on my Dominator. So far so good. I really like it. You punch it and it's on plane in a heartbeat. Seems to have alot of power. Starts quick and is quiet. I traveled about 25 miles on opener and I barely even saw the gas guage move. Hopefully it will always run this good. Bruce Mosher

I have had the 115 for a little over a year now. I had a starting issue with mine last year that took a couple trips to the dealer to finally get it figured out, since then it has been great.

I'v had my 115hp E-tec since 6/06 it been to Canada and everywhere in between. Starts and runs great sips gas and oil. I am very pleased with it. It usually starts in 1 to 1 1/2 flywheel revoloutions. I don't troll with it as I have a 15 hp kicker. My previous motor was a Evinrude Ficht and I had several failures that left me stranded in Canada.

Mwal

My bro. in law is runninig a 225 e-tec and loves it, but its only 2 yrs.old, I have a 01 opti-max 200hp, it's had small problems but I'm still happy, what I can say is Yammey has the least amount of reported problems on this site but all of the top four manufactures are all good. Pick your boat and features you want, and enjoy it! HTB