• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Vacation - Where?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chub lake is a good lake. It fishes well and the access is good, I am not sure about the camping though. Bring him up the North Shore for a night. You know as well as I do that in the summer it can feel just like the ocean, maybe that will help turn him grin.gif

Ely is beautiful area. You can have the Boundary Waters Canoe Area on one side or a similar experience without the restrictions of the wilderness very close by. Of course you can always make day trips into the area.

The Cranker mentioned sunset bay resort on Lake Mille Lacs. That would be a great option with amazing fishing for walleyes, muskies, pike and bass. DOn't forget the pannies. I've been to susnset bay and they run a first class operation.

FOr other suggestions, we have a link on the top of the page near the banner that says Resort Locator. You can pick a resort by the geographical area of the state. We have many great sponsers on the site. Picking any one of them will get a fantastic trip.

The call of the Loon is calling you home. A compromise might be to move to a "warmer" area in MN. At least you would be closer to home. He might get freaked out with the cold winds coming off Lake Superior during the winters causing those subzero windchills and the lake effect snowfall the area experiences. I can imagine what goes through his mind when he sees some of the temps during the winter.

I live only a few miles from Chub Lake. It's located in Carlton which is about 18 miles south of Duluth. I like Carlton because it's still a small town (I was born and raised in Two Harbors and really appreciate small towns) but can be easily commutable (is that a word?) if you work in Duluth but is usually considerably warmer than Duluth since we are off Lake Superior. I don't believe you can camp at Chub Lake. I know that they have a nice landing and it's really popular for fishing and recreational though. Jay Cooke State Park is a great camping destination! It's located about a couple miles outside of Carlton and since it's a state park it has shower facilities and night time programs. I love it there. We visit often. Hope this helps.

Lisa

Thank you so much for your help. I lived in Howard Lake till '83, spending a couple years in Culver. then moved to Florida. I checked out the linc's for lodging. But it always helps talking to people that have been there. Again thank you for your help and any more ideas will be much apprieciated.

Ohh Man, I forgot how great Jay Cooke is! I finished high school in Esko and spent the majority of my free time out there hiking.

Hands down Dee Dee, if you are planning on camping thats the place to be! You can also drive down 23 and fish the St. Louis river at Fond du Lac. That would be my vote!

Jay Cooke State Park is located about 1/2 miles east of Carlton on Hwy 23. Fond du Lac is the community that is located at the end of Hwy 23. Hwy 23 is a super-windy stretch of road that meanders through Jay Cooke State Park with ravines and the St. Louis River. It is shockingly beautiful. I think you could just Google the state park and get all the info you need. Bring your bikes too since it's got great trails (also for hiking).

Lisa PS Don't even get me started on Gooseberry Falls State Park (I basically grew up near there and camped with my family every chance we got in the summer/fall). You really should head up the shore and visit there too! It's my favorite state park-hands down.:D

you guys are making my head spin!!! I want to see everything! I will have only 4-5 days there. But I am bringing a boat for lots of fishing, and beautiful sights

Sorry DeeDee! I guess my love and enthusiasm for Northern Minnesota is shining through! Don't get me started on ice fishing, snowshowing and skiing! We'll be here for hours but I guarantee your man would want to move up here for good! cool.gif

PUNCHY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! How the H are ya! We are comming up the 3rd week in July. I was going to be earlier but my daughter couldnt get off work. I never thought I would find family here. What gave me away. I love this site, these people are so great and a huge help. Now I cant decide where to go first. Lisatealz is making me want to go this winter too, but if the temp drops below 70 I have a hard time leaving the covers. I want to catch BIG BIG BIG fish! But will anyone help me clean them?

Snowshowing is when you strap some wood or aluminum "shoes"(mine are pink aluminum-but we won't go there!) onto your feet and tromp around the woods or on trails and it's fun and great exercise! They are shaped like big teardrops so you can "float" across the snow instead of sinking way down. I paid a pretty penny for mine but again lots of state parks (Jay Cooke has them)offer rentals for people. I'm sure others would clarify better but I really get a kick out of snowshowing. It gets you out of the house in the winter so you don't get too shack nasty!

Lisa

As long as you already have too much information, might i suggest Camp Van Vac in Ely. The cabins are rustic and the lake is beautiful. I've been there 2xs and will definitely be back.

Hi DeeDee! I think it's really neat how much info people gave you. It goes to show how happy most of us Minnesotans are with our beautiful state (not that FLA would be too bad in the middle of January either). If I ever get to Florida again, I'll be asking you questions on where to go right?

Hope your trip is great and please let us all know what you actually did get to see in your too short visit,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Your not kidding it will be too short. Not to mention the drive will be too LONG. Well if you come to Florida, I'll set you up with some pier fishing and deep sea fishing. You can also go down the St. Johns just dont get out of the boat. Renting a houseboat on the river is super cool. It costs about the same per week as a good hotel and worth every penny. We are leaving on the 13th of July. Should arrive late on the 14th or early on the 15th either way as soon as I get there I want to drop the boat in the lake and let the family set up camp (that should be interesting)I have to force myself to choose a final destination there this week. It is so hard to choose. Just not enough time.