• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stripping Walleye at Walker Lake Hatchery

Today, I had the good fortune of spending a beautiful Monday morning watching the walleye egg stripping operation between Dead and Walker Lakes.

They set up nets to trap the walleye as they come into the river to spawn.

01.JPG

Plenty of males...

02.JPG

...and females on hand for today's event.

03.JPG

A pole is run under the net to concentrate the fish...

04.JPG

...and sorting takes place.

05.JPG

The ones not ripe enough to strip today are kept for tomorrow.

06.JPG

The eggs and sperm of the fish are stripped into a bowl. Here's a female giving up her eggs while a spent male is tossed back into the river.

07.JPG

The fragile eggs are gently mixed with a feather to fertilize as many as possible in the very short time available.

08.JPG

A thin clay mixture is added to the eggs to keep them from clumping together. (There's a natural stickiness of the eggs that keeps them stuck to the rocks in natural reproduction.)

09.JPG

Then, they're gently rinsed and put into tubs.

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

And finally taken to the hatchery house to hopefully grow up to be catchable fish.

13.JPG

A few more of today's fish to sort out and strip...

14.JPG

...while the boys wait patiently for some rough fish to smoke.

15.JPG

Alas, there aren't many sucker in today's run (the water temp was 53 degrees), mostly bullhead.

16.JPG

Nice pics schweady.

I put up a similar post for the Pike River Hatchery on the Vermillion form. It was pretty cool to see this one and see the things they do a little differently and what they do the same. It is funny that the pic I posted with the hatchery full of jars looks nearly identical to yours.