• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Bow

student

I'm looking into buying a different bow for this year's hunting season. I am contemplating buying a used bow. What are certain criteria that I should be looking for? In a sense, what are the best ways to "kick the tires"?

Yep, great advice... I would even go so far as to ask the owner of the bow to take it to a proshop with you and have them look at it.. It may cost you a few bucks, but then you have piece of mind... to know you are getting a quality product. I would think anybody who is not willing to have this done, may be hiding soemthing.

The main key is does the bow fit you!?...

OK, I found a bow that I like. It appears to be in very nice shape. The limbs are not cracked or worn. The string also shows wear consistent to normal use. It is a Mathews Solocam FX. It comes with a case, 12 carbon express arrows, a tarantula release, new lightweight quiver, fiber optic sight, arrow rest, a brand new pack of 125 grain Muzzy broadheads, and a stabilizer. The party selling the package is asking for $450.00. I think that everything listed was in very good to excellent shape.

The bow itself is very comfortable to shoot. I felt like everything (elbows, knees, forearms, wrist) lined up coreectly when drawn. Any comments or concerns that I should be looking for that I might have overlooked? I appreciate the feeback.

At one time I had an FX-2. Not an FX but the updated version. I believe it MSRP's for $449. I think I paid $399 new from the dealer for mine. Buying it new from a dealer will get you the lifetime warranty. Buying it used will not. You will have to take into consideration the age and quality of the accessories that are coming in the package but personally I would pass on the deal. Accessories can be a very personal choice.

You also said that the draw felt good. You should make sure you are measured by someone who knows what they are doing and make sure that FX is your draw length. Mathews cams are not adjustable so if you find out the draw is wrong for you, you are stuck with that or you are looking at about $50 for a cam swap.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input.

What do you think the bow by itself would be worth assuming it is in excellent condition? I will bring to a pro shop to be checked.

I did a search on another forum I frequent and found people selling used FX2s from $250 up to $350 and FX's from $150 to $300. All of those were within the last year. I won't give you the HSOforum but if you do some creative googleing you will probably find it.