• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big crappie :)

Doop

Hey guys,

Keep in mind I live in Dallas, TX. I caught a 16 inch crappie last night on a bass jig. It was the biggest crappie i've ever seen. For a moment I thought about getting it mounted. At what point would you guys mount a crappie? He lived to swim another day smile.gif

I've caught numerous crappies from Upper Red that were 2 pounds...but not this big.

The crappie I caught last night weighed only 1.9 pounds. I guess maybe she had spawned out. It was so big though...it was losing some of its crappie markings.

Or you could bring a camera and take a picture for a replica mount which to me looks just as good and lasts much longer. That way the old girl can die of old age or can be a trophy for somebody else too. smile.gif

I definitely woulda mounted her. I got one this winter that was 15 3/4, and there wasn't a second thought. she still had all her colors and was absolutely beautiful, though. I know what you're saying. I caught a bass a few years back that was 23" and pushing 7 lbs, and I'd always said I'd put anything over 6 on the wall, but it was the ugliest worn out fish I've every caught. It was almost black. I caught it out of a small northern MN lake, and she was definitely on her last leg.

I would think down south lakes could raise bigger crappies than 16 inches... We have 16 inch crappies in MN..and colder temps..I would prolly throw it back...if you wanted a mount..get a replica...otherwise there's gotta be some bigger slabs than that down there..you would think...

17" - Lookin' at her right now on my wall (and so are you if my picture is up). What a blast to catch on ultralight gear and have my buddy just gently scoop her out of the water with his bare hand when I finally got her boatside! (of course the net was left behind).

17" crappie nice job when did ya get it, i have one on the wall also i caught in feb 02 of 2002 went 18 1/2 " classified as white crappie, just to find out someone already broke the state record only a week before i got him, plus i gave my mount to my mom as a keepsake since i hardly ever see her anymore. ever since that day i caught it, the cops had to come down to brake up fights over the spot.last yr was my yr for walleyes 31" 14lbs sept 7th 10:45 am. it made the local news paper, i just got it back from the taxadermy last week, my pride and joy.