• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 4 strokes

Jamie5ltr

I was wondering what people have to say about yamaha 4 strokes. I found a couple non current alumacraft boats for sale and 2 of them have yamaha. Also will a 115hp outboards be adequate for a 17 ft boat or am I better off to up it to a 150hp. One has a 115 on it but is a demo so upgrading to a 150 is a big jump in money.

I have run yamaha 90 4 strokes for the last 6 years I put alot of hours on them and they are a tough motor I would recomend one. as for the smaller motor I would try to always go with the boats rating, if you can afford it

Jason

I have a alumacraft tournament pro 175, with the 115 4 stroke yamaha in which is rated for either a 150 or 175, I dont remember right now, never had any problems awsome boat and motor! I personally very seldom use the speed it has! I have opend it up on occasions and im sure the bigger motor would be faster, but I get in the mid to upper 40s, 50 on a good day. Its up to your preference, I didnt want to spend the extra, and am very happy with what I got! hope this helps!

Quote:

I have a alumacraft tournament pro 175, with the 115 4 stroke yamaha in which is rated for either a 150 or 175, I dont remember right now, never had any problems awsome boat and motor! I personally very seldom use the speed it has! I have opend it up on occasions and im sure the bigger motor would be faster, but I get in the mid to upper 40s, 50 on a good day. Its up to your preference, I didnt want to spend the extra, and am very happy with what I got! hope this helps!

Just curious.... Is that 50 mph on the Speedo or GPS? Thanks!

This is my baby. It is an '05. This was the first year they offered EFI on 75hp (and 90hp) 4-strokes I love it. I just turn the key and go. It has plenty of power. It is super quiet. Trolls down really well. I can't say enough good about Yamaha 4-strokes.

boatresizetl6.jpg

I am not 100% sure but I think Alumacraft (and Lund) weld the seems to seal them. The plates are still fastened by rivets.

I love the boat. I couldn't be happier. It has a ton of room and has a very dry ride. I have fished on Vermillion and Mile Lacs in pretty good chop. The boat handles like a champ.

Yamaha, I believe is the only outboard company to test horsepower at the prop not at the crankshaft, this is why a yamaha will usually outrun the compition of the same size, but you do pay more for a Yamaha, In my opinion after 17 years in a yamaha dealership it the most dependable engine.

Quote:

Yamaha, I believe is the only outboard company to test horsepower at the prop not at the crankshaft

Not correct, all motors are measured at the prop now. Was not always the case but has been so for many years.