• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Feeding dogs

Barony

I just have a question about how often people feed their dogs. I feed twice a day, and am wondering if I should switch to once a day. I guess the rationale I used was how often I would like to eat if put in that situation.

I don't know what the "correct" answer is. When Midnite was here I had food in her bowl 24-7. She ate when she wanted to. Then when she got real old and heavy I fed her once a day based on the charts on the dog food bag. Don't know if that was right or wrong but it always worked for me. I also had plenty of food and milk bones along whenever we wnet hunting. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Like my friend Jimbo, I was always a once a day guy with Buster while he was here too.

Now with Chief I started at two a day when he was a pup but moved him to once a day too after 1 year old (actually I'm sure I did that with Buster too but I don't remember).

I always wonder though if I should do it night or morning with only once a day???

Also I would add during hunting season, I feed just a very small amount 1/2 to 1 hour before we started for the day just so they had a little (but not enough to make them sick) in their stomach, and then fed a large portion after the hunt.

I feed my lab twice in a day. I think that this is the best way to go because then your dog is hungry when it is time to eat, and will eat all of the food no matter what else is going on. I know of a few guys who always have food in their dogs dish. I have noticed a problem with this when it comes time to go on a longer hunting trip. When he starts packing the camo in the truck, the dog will no longer eat because she is so excited. The dog will also not eat the morning of the hunt either. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this problem but it is just something I have noticed.

I had Buster on a self feeder years ago and he gained serious weight. You really have to watch them if you try to go that route.

I always give my boys a bigger supper the night before a hunt and like I said a little snack before we go. Then pet-tabs while hunting if we'll have a long outing.

We feed our dogs once a day at night. We used to do free feeding but one of our dogs would be extremely overweight if we did that. She won't leave the food dish until all the food is gone. I know she is getting enough because she is a little overweight now.

Wild dogs and wolves feed once every day or two depending on when food is available. Their physiology allows for that. I feed once a day at night to control weight (both up and down) and to "condition" them mentally to eat every day at that time. I've never had a dog refuse food because they are too tired or too excited. I've also never had an overweight dog. Use a premium food and adjust the amount until you are happy with your dogs size and keep them there.

Good Luck!

Ken

We have a community bowl that is filled in the morning. They ( 3 dogs ) munch at will. They also receive dog bones during the day if they do something right or remind a member of the family that they have not received one yet. Absolutely no table scraps. Bowl is picked up at dinner time and usually it is empty.

I feed at 5am and 5pm on the clock. They also [PoorWordUsage] at 5:10am and 5:10pm... grin.gif

I had a black lab that I would just open the bag for and let help himself. 20# always lasted exactly 29 days. At 27 days, he'd dump the remaining food out and bring me the bag. No sh!t!!!!

2 of my dogs eat til they're satisfied and quit, and the other two polish off the leftovers.

One of them is 3 pounds overweight (Black Lab) (only eats til she's satisfied) and the rest are at the ideal.