• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wind Generators/thermopiles

SIMCOX28

I was wondering if anybody has used a wind generator to charge their fish house batteries? In addition to that does anybody have a good understadning of thermopiles? I am wondering if it would be possible to rig up a thermopile that would produce enough amp/volts, to power a vex, or 2-3 strands of led lights. If for no other reason than to try it out. Thanks for any input.

Quote:

I was wondering if anybody has used a wind generator to charge their fish house batteries? In addition to that does anybody have a good understadning of thermopiles? I am wondering if it would be possible to rig up a thermopile that would produce enough amp/volts, to power a vex, or 2-3 strands of led lights.

From my understanding Thermopiles are voltage based devices. I'm quite certain that you won't get a big enough temperature differential between you big buddy and the ice to create any usable current for powering or charging.

The AirX marine turbine has an internal battery charger/ regulator that would be simple to use on the ice for power.

You might want to look at rollable solar panels - I know Brunton makes some nice ones that roll into a small tube for storage.

lb

please read a post i did last fall on wind generators it will help you out in makeinng a desision. and one thing i would like to add. i used a deep cycle battery this year in my house with 45 watts of solar panels and i fish every night and run lights, tv, and have a builge pump that i run at times to refresh my minnow coolerand i did not have to bring it home to charge at all this year and i have fished from jan 12 untill today when i brought the house home. if someone can find and post a link to my previous post please do. ... paul

I have an Air-X wind generator on my house. It was one best thing I did. The company stands behind their product too. I had a ciruct board go bad. Its 9 years old. They gave me an up-dated board and housing that it mounts in for under $50. The thing new is $699. The batteries are always full, if there is wind, the only down side. That is very few times thought. The generator shuts down no to over-charge the battery. I will do the wiring a little different on the next house and change the mounting around, but there will another one there. cool.gif

hawkeye as i posted previously. the salesman that sells them said they have a vibration issue. is this true because i did want to add one of these to my shack? but as i do sleep init every night his statement has kept from purchaseing one. ... paul

Go for it. You don't have to run it 24-7. Last night when the wind came up I lock it down so it wouldn't charge, almost sleeped all night except for the rattle reels turning. shocked.gif then when I left in the morning I let it charge and at noon when I moved the house the battiers were at 95%. With the wind tonight I might let it charge a little, with this wind it would not take long, then shut it off. Yes I would mount it different next time, live and learn. It should be mounted on rubber and well secured. I will talk to you at cool cats next weekend, should be fun cool.gif

A therompile is somewhat like a thermocouple. It is in the pilot flame and generates millivolts of electricity. (very little power) The thermostat acts as a switch and the millivolts electrically open the gas valve. I don't think theres any possibility of using one.