• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger Reata 1850

Dhenry

I'm thinking about buying a Ranger Reata 1850. I really like they layout and size of the boat. I've got 3 young kids and a wife and it seems like the perfect family fishing boat. The boat I'm looking at has a Merc. Optima 175. Does anyone own one or has anyone fished in on. I'd like to get some thoughts about what people think about the boat.

I know there's a few guys on here with them, so I am sure you'll get some good advice. I'm pretty sure there's even a member with the 175 Opti on his (Perchjerker? EJ?).

They are sweet boats and I would love one. You're lucky to be able to afford one!

I have that boat with a 175 Optimax, EJ has it with a 150 4-stroke Yamaha, we both have kicker motors on our boats.

I got the boat because I have 2 young kids and my wife really likes the layout. It's a great family boat and it fishes better than I expected. We like the boat a lot and have no complaints with it.

The Opti is a great motor but it's loud. When fishing and running with the guys I like my motor a lot, when cruising with the family I sometimes wish I had gone with a 4 stroke for the noise factor. If I was buying the boat again I would probably put a 175 Verado on it (which wasn't available yet when I ordered my boat) or go with the 175 Opti again.

The boat I'm looking at also has a kicker on it. Need the kicker for the fall trolling bite. The only lake I fish anymore is Mille Lacs. Your comment about it "fishes better than I thought it would" makes me a little nervous. I'm fishing out of a Alumacraft Trophy 170 today which works great, but was hoping the Reata was going to be a great upgrade both for the family, but even more for the fishing.

Don't let that comment make you nervous, you are interpreting it wrong. The 1850 fishes great. I was a little concerned when we were ordering it that I would be compromising something in that regard, but I have no complaints with the boat and that was a pleasant surprise. For example ....

I wasn't entirely sold on the rod storage at first but after using the boat for 1+ seasons now I like the rod storage.

I thought the bow platform was kind of small but it's fine. My wife and I and both kids often fish off of it at the same time when panfishing. I throw for muskies and both the front and back deck work great for that. Same for pitching jigs or cranks for walleyes, or throwing spinnerbaits for bass.

The electric bowmount moves the boat around better than I expected and the windshields don't catch the wind like I thought they would. The boat sits lower in the water and is more stable than an aluminum boat.

I do a lot of trolling for walleyes and the boat is awesome for that. I've done a lot of open water trolling on Mille Lacs and Erie and other lakes with it, and have used it for the fall night bite on Mille Lacs the last 2 years. It's just about the perfect boat for trolling. After using the boat for a few months I rigged it so I could move a 332c between the bow and the kicker, I have a couple of color units on the dash but in the sunlight they were too hard to see from the kicker -- especially the contour lines on the map chip.

I don't backtroll very much but if I did I would not have bought this boat. When I livebait rig I use either the kicker or the bowmount, depending on conditons.

Hope that helps, good luck.

its going to be a great boat for ya. And with the warrenties that ranger has and whatever motor warrenty your getting, there aint nothing that can beat it. Always nice this time a year, where your going to be able to get free motor warrenty, and gotch coverd program with ranger. You will have a great ride in that boat.

One of my buddy brought a Demo Reata one time and loved it... He also got all the Warranty and stuff with it... He was going to buy a used one but then seen a demo one with all the warranty for a little more money and bought it... He like the ideal of having warranty’s on his boat and spending a little more money was worth it...I just like having warranty’s on my boat because u never know what’s going to happen… If you can get a boat with good warranty’s for a few years DO IT!!! My .02

Great response and what I wanted to hear. Sounds like you and I were cut from the same thread as far as fishing goes. I'm headed up tonight to look at the boat. I appreciate all the thoughts on this topic. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is next week.

I went out this weekend and purchased a new Reata 1850. I had the wife and kids in the showroom (kids are 4, 5 and 6) to give it a once over. The boat has a 175 Yamaha 2-stroke. I'm having them put the bracket on the back, but, I chose to hold off on the kicker as I wanted to get some input on the what people thought about the throttle control at the wheel vs. the hand control at the motor. I'm nervous about not having the same "touch" control and feel I get when my hand is on the tiller vs. the hand throttle and steering on the wheel. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

First, congrats on the purchase. Have fun waiting for open water grin.gif When we were buying I was leaning toward a 620 or 619, but when my wife saw the layout in the 1850 she decided we were done shopping. Works for me grin.gif

Is the Yam 175 an HPDI? I thought that motor only came with a 20 inch shaft but you need a 25 inch for that boat. At one time I heard there was an extension kit you could put on that motor to convert it to 25 inches, then I heard that wasn't being done anymore -- I don't know which is correct, I just know you need a 25 inch motor. I suggest you verify with your dealer that your motor has a 25 inch shaft just to avoid headaches down the line.

Regarding the kicker motor, I run my kickers as tiller motors, not remote control motors. If you want to run it as remote control, get a TrollMaster throttle - look for their HSOforum, or Cabelas carries them too. They cost a couple hundred bucks. The TrollMaster is simply a remote throttle adjustment, but it is very precise and controllable. They are a must-have if you go with remote control, some guys even run them on their tiller motors.

Another option is to get a tiller control motor with a removable steering bar that links to the big motor. You would have to go to the kicker to shift gears, but you could use the kicker as a tiller control, or could link it to the big motor and steer with your big motor, and control the throttle from the console if you added a TrollMaster.

Thanks for the heads-up and I'll be making some calls. The boat is new and I think Ranger puts the motors on their boats at the factory so I'm hoping they wouldn't put on a motor that doesn't work. I purchased the boat from Crystal Pierz Marine in St. Cloud. On the tiller question, I'm so used to sitting on the back of the boat to troll that I'm not sure I can adjust. Is your's a tiller or remote contorl?

If Ranger is rigging it for you, you can bet it will be done right.

My kicker is a tiller. I like the quick steering response you get from pushing the tiller handle, I don't like the idea of having to turn the wheel a couple revolutions to make a hard corner and another couple revolutions to straighten it out again. I've thought about getting a removable steering bar and a TrollMaster but haven't got around to it yet and don't know if I ever will -- I just don't think I'd use them very often.

When I do open water trolling I'll occasionally use the big motor as a rudder and steer the boat that way - works fine for open water where you're not following contours. I have my kids use the wheel to make 'S' turns and it keeps them entertained.

Quote:

Have you had a bad experience with the St. Cloud Crystal Pierz?

I have no personal experience with non-metro CPs but have heard good things about 3 of them.

The metro CPs on the other hand ......... I wouldn't trust them to plug my cell phone into it's charger grin.gif

Crystal Pierz Marine works on having the most happy customers of any marine dealership anywhere. Everystore trys to be the same, but yet they are a bit different. Ither way, they will take care of any customer that comes through the door.

Congrads on the Ranger!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta agree with Perch on the tiller kicker motor, using the handle to control the boat. Instant response, your hand is always on the throttle to go faster, go in reverse, whatever you want to do without having to take your hand off the controls. Also puts your fishing line (if you're holding onto your rod) right out the back end. Don't have to worry about getting your line caught up in the prop at all. I'd think this would be a concern if fishing from the console/steering wheel when making turns following weedlines or contours.

I know that I'll never use a kicker motor any other way...give me the tiller handle and I'll show you a happy guy! grin.gif

Bass, why not use that $1000 electric on the bow? Quieter and a 24V will run all day. A tiller would have an advantage on lakes like URL or LOW but for other 99% of the lakes in the state wouldn't a bow mount work better and put less weight on the rear of the boat?