• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2007 cow musk ox hunt

Well we left the village headed for the south side of the island this morning. Weather was great. UNTIL we starting climbing into the high country. fog was thick and wind was blowing. Not good conditions for traveling at all. Half way down to the south side we ran into a small herd of musk ox (by pure luck in the fog) and it had 3 nice cows in the herd. There were 6 of us riding and 4 of us wanted to bag an ox. So we did manage to take 3 nice cows out of the herd. Sorry the pictures are bad, I will ahve to get more from a friends camera.

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

THis photo you can see our tracks headed off into the fog bank in the background. Was a cool site on the way back but the photo did not turn out well.

IMG_0592.jpg

This is an excerpt from the fish and game HSOforum

Mature bulls are about 5 feet high (1.5 m) at the shoulder and weigh 600 to 800 pounds (273-364 kg). Cows are smaller, averaging approximately 4 feet (1.2 m) in height and weighing 400 to 500 pounds (182-227 kg).

It is misleading though because the hide weighs so much.

Man, It must be cool to hunt on the Ice Planet Hoth! wink.gif

Quote:

Han Solo: "Whew, I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

I am in love with all of your pictures and stories, 222. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your life up there.

I just cannot even begin to imagine what its like up there.

One thing is certain, without your posts and pics, I wouldn't even be wondering what its like. cool.gif

Fun stuff to see and read!

Are the cow tags over the counter up there? Bull tags lottery? I notice you just mention the cows, so I was curious why no males.

Do they stink?? Just seems to me something with that much matted fur would trap some foul odors. Although I suppose with it being that cold up there, nothing would fester up to stink.

How do they taste?

Questions questions!!!

The dept. of fish and game gives out 5 cow tags in bethel and 35 on the island. THey go to the first people in line. We lined up a day ahead of time to be sure to get one.

THe bull tags are lottery, and all of you could put in if you wanted too. Nonres fee for a bull is 1000 bucks. Res fee for a bull is 500. I have put in for 4 years and not drawn, hopefully I draw one soon.

THey don't stink, and when you cut them up they smell just like beef. I just cut up my tenderloins and backstraps tonight. The quarters, rump, ribs, and brisket will wait until the weekend.

GREAT eating, although I shot an older cow this year and it is a touch tough, but not bad. By the time I cut up the quarters it will be perfect.