• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass rain

ikeslayer

So i one time overheard and old timer say that a certain kind of rain was a bass rain. That a slow all day rain and you will kill the bass. Well i don't know if this holds any water but i will say that i have fished in 2 "Bass rains" in my fishing career and killed them both times. One time was nearly a 200 fish weekend and another time was more size than numbers. What i want to know is does this hold any water for the rest of you and if so why. And what are your experiences with rain and bass. Would love to hear the stories but also really want to know why this is.

ike

Ike,

I have had some very good days/weekends when a light rain kind of stalls over the area for awhile. Two years ago I was at my cabin and my buddy and I caught a lot of big fish in two days where this foggy light rain front was stalled. I couldn't believe the quality of fish we were getting, and it still is the best couple of days I've ever had on that lake. I've had a few other occasions where the same things were occuring. However I have also had a day with these same types of conditions and didn't do that great (this was on prior lake,smirk.gif I'm not a huge fan of that lake.

What I think triggers these fish is the fact that a cold front is moving through. That barometer drops and those fish know. They go on a feeding binge. When I see that a cold front is going to hit IMO I want to be on the water right before it, and during it. The reason is I believe these are the best times to catch fish when a front moves through. After the front is passed typically it is harder to catch them. I believe you must do things out of the ordinary like use reaction baits, really slow down, downsize, or upgrade. These may not always work, but are worth a try. Personally I go into the day of fishing after a cold front with the mindset that I may not get as many bites as usual, knowing this you will be more apt to make sure you capitalize on the bites you DO get. You can make the best of each chance you get that day and make it successful.

I know you didn't want to know about after a front, but I got a little carried away grin.gif

Some of the largest bass I have caught have been in the POURING rain. I'm sure there are many factors, since rainwater is high in oxygen, and will bring them closer to the surface, not to mention water running in brings in worms/bugs.

I can distinctly remember 2 days like that (I am sure there were dozens more) that were unbelievable. But, I can remember lots of "postcard" days where fishing was exceptional.

I personally favor the days of summer were it is hot, humid, and hazy for about the 4th day in a row. The kind of day where you're launching your boat at 5:00 AM and your underwear is already sticking to your rear end. Throw in a little wind, and I am stoked for the day.

I've always said the best fishing is when I can't keep my hands dry. Rain or humidity. The best condition for me is a warm,soft all day soaker. It does two things...makes the fish bite and makes the other tournament competitors worry more about keeping dry than catching fish!!!

I have a lot of theories, but no real proof of anything.. I know Denny Brauer once said in a book. "if you cant catch fish in the rain, you might as well pick up a different sport"...

I feel that the rain crates a lot of noise under the water. So you are able to get away with making a little more noise, the fish are less spooky. I also think the rain knocks bugs and other things in the water giving the fish more food and thus putting the fish on the feed... Also, for it to rain there is usually a pretty good drop in the baromiter, which will also key some feeding. I myself have often done quite well in a rain.

For me the rain means two major things - Little to no wind and the most important thing is the recreational boaters are home wishing it would stop soon, meaning I can load unload and go wherever I please. Those few days a summer keep me sane fighting sw metro water sport enthusiasts!!!

Last year I experienced the rain frenzy first hand. One small fish the first hour on N/S Center until the rain came and then it was unbelievable. It was like someone flipped a switch. Lots of numbers within' the next few hours but no real pigs. Also had the opposite happen last year on Green. I was catching tons of fish pre-storm but when the rain came they simply shut off. There where a couple claps of thunder and that is what I believe shut them down more then the rain.

I agree with most of what has been written above, but one thing that I don't think has been specifically addressed yet is the impact rain has on the vision of fish.

As Dietz mentioned, the rain makes niose which may make the fish less spooky, it also breaks up the surface which make it harder for fish to see us. Also, the rain is almost always accompanied by a significant decrease in light because of cloud cover, i.e. the magic words "low-light period", which can last all day.

I believe the combined affects of the pressure, noise and low light cause (pressure) / allow (noise and low light) the bass to become aggressive, venture away from cover and feed even if you are right on top of them.

I'm such a fan of the "bass rain" that one of the most expensive things in my boat is my rain gear. Like anything else, it's not 100% but I think it is about as close as we get in fishing.

I will go out of my way to fish a drizzle day, I don't need many excuses to go fishin but this is one of the better times to go. I think everyone has a point as to why fishing is good at this time. The only other time that I think fishing is better is that window right before a storm moves in. Sometimes you get lucky and you get just a drizzle and the main storm moves around you. I have had some great Kodak moments fishing these periods. [ of course be safe and get off the water if lightning is any where close]