• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

super cab vs crew cab in a ford

Ryan_V

Question

I've had my eye out for a crew cab diesel truck for a couple months now. I had it in my head that I needed the crew cab because I have 2 small kids. I ran across a deal on a sweeeeeet truck, but it's a super cab, where all 4 doors open, but the back doors are the suicide doors. it's a 2002 f-350 with the 7.3 diesel and only 46,000 miles. this thing is cherry with the power banks system. it's almost too good to pass up, but I'd like opinions on whether I'd regret not holding out for a crew cab. my kids are 5 and 1, so both in car seats. this would be an every day driver for my wife who takes the kids to daycare. would also be my camping/fishing/work truck.

thanks for any opinions.

12 answers to this question

I have a 2002 F-150 supercrew and would never think of going back to a supercab. I traded a 2000 supercab for this truck and have not ever regretted it. I know it is not the super duty you are looking at but the supercab I had, had the suicide doors, and they really aren't all that great when in a parking lot (especially when loading small kids). What I like best about the crew cab is that I can have our daughter in her car seat and still fold down half of the rear seat and keep more stuff inside. Also is nice to carry 4 adults very comfortabley.

I think as your kids grow, the crew cab would make more sense.

Just my $.02!

Hey Ryan. My wife and I were in the same situation this past summer. Although we didn't have a Ford, we had a Chevy extended cab and it was a real pain getting the kids in and out even with the 4 doors on the extended cab. Always had to move seats foreward to get the kids in, keep our seats forward further than what we cared for, and so on when traveling with the kids.

So, this summer we traded the extended cab in for a crew cab and boy what a difference! Lots more legroom for the kids, don't have to move seats foreward to get them in and out, the kids are more comfortable and don't fuss and complain and push on the backs of our seats like they used to, etc, etc.

This is just me, but if I were you, I'd hold out for the crew cab. I know it's hard to pass up on a sweet truck, but I gotta think you'll be happier with the crew. My 3yr old boy hated that he didn't have leg room with the extended cab, and being you have a 5yr old, I'd think it would be the same or worse.

Just my $.02

Ryan V, I personally made the transition from a supercab Ford to a Crewcab Ford and I never regretted it for one minute. The full size doors are just like the main ones. Its very diffficult to get the kids into the rear doors, especially in car seats. My kids are 6 and 4 now and even now one is in a booster seat and the other is still in a "toddler" seat. Even now its hard to help them get buckled when you have to use the real buckles instead of baby seats. I would say go to the dealership or the sellers place and try it out. It may seem easy right away, but consider crabby kids in the winter or when its raining etc. You want it to be easy. Plus passengers really enjoy having a real back seat. Basscatcher referenced the Chevy extended cabs and those are bigger and nicer than the Ford 1/2 tons and they still aren't that great for access.

Get the crew cab. You won't reget it. On a side note, I sold my crewcab and even my wife is asking me to get another one. I'm so jealous of you. I own't be getting mine for a few more months. You're gonna love the Powerstroke (hence my online name) engine. I would hold out for the crewcab. There are plenty of them out there, I know, I've been looking.

Ryan - good comments above. I would also recommend you just try putting the car seats in back of the super cab and load the kids in/out. The suicide doors make the back of the cab more accessible, but there's still not much room at all for them. I am another Crew Cab convert and will probably never go back, even after my kids are grown and gone.

Good luck with your decision.

Ryan, excellent advice above. I would never go supercab if you can go crew cab, your children will eventually grow and the room you have with the 4 doors is much more than supercab.

I am a Dodge owner and I am considering going Chevy or Ford again (unfortunately) just because of cab size, the new Mega Cab is huge but has a 6ft box, I want a long box.

Go with crew cab and never look back

I have a Chevy Crew Cab now and I can tell you this. The kid's feet are right in your back if their in any kind of booster/car seat if your in a extended cab. Once they outgrow that and can actually sit on the seats then their feet fit under the seat like their designed to. So until your kids reach the age of 8 or so your going to be kicked in the back unless you move your seat forward. Crew Cabs give them enough room so it doesnt happen.

I'd be another vote for the Supercrew over the Supercab. I currently have a Supercab and my wife and mom-in-law went to run around with our niece one weekend with it. She said it was a PITA to get the car seat in there.....and to quote her....If/When we have kids, we are getting a Supercrew. Hmm.....decisions decisions.

My father has a F250 supercrew and I have ridden out to Garrison, ND and back in the back half from the cities. Not one complaint....now the supercab....it's cozy but I wouldn't want to ride that long in the back.

I have an 01 F350 with the powerstroke, and it is a crew cab. I don't know if I could own a smaller truck now. Last year we had six full size adults with all the gear on a six hour trip up to Red for a weekend, and believe it or not everyone was comfortable. I would personally hold out for a crew cab if it was myself.

Not that it matters cause you're gonna pass on the 2002, but the Ford diesel comes with a 100,000 mile warrenty on the engine since a diesel is barely broken in by then. The 7.3L Powerstroke is designed to go to 400,000 miles without major repairs.

Powerstoke is right, I personally had 365,000 on my Powerstroke, and had no problem at all, also I "rescued" a RV hauler in Des Moines that had a 2003 with 578,000 miles on original motor, gone thorugh 3 transmission though, and last one at 1,500 miles was shot already, since I had to tow truck and RV together to dealer. I haven't heard anybody reaching over 200,000 miles with th new 6.0l