• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Black_Bay

Normal weather coming?

I saw this on Accuweather. It's from Brett Anderson's blog. He's a Canadian Weather Expert. Let's hope he's right.

El Nino is Fading

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

El Nino

It certainly appears that El Nino (the warming of the equatorial Pacific Waters) has already peaked in intensity (probably in December), and is now starting to show a steady decline. Whether that steady decline continues is up for debate, but as of right now, we are probably dealing with a weak to slightly moderate El Nino. It is now anticipated that conditions may get back close to neutral by spring. What does this mean for Canada? Well, I think we may already be seeing the effects of a weakening of El Nino with the current pattern change which is trending toward a building West Coast ridge of high pressure which will certainly help dry out British Columbia. That same ridge is also allowing the very cold air from the far north to spill down through the Prairies, while blocking the moist, Pacific air from invading the country . The southern branch of the jet stream is getting supressed well to the south as the northern, polar jet becomes dominant. Eventually, that cold air will be taking up residence across a large portion of eastern Canada starting next week and probably continuing through at least the end of the month, if not longer. The coldest departures from normal will likely be across Ontario and Quebec the second half of this month, then less so as you progress to the east through the Maritimes and Newfoundland.

Now if we could just add a few more days to Febuary to make up for our lost winter so far we might have some good ice in the southern half of the state after all. grin.gif

With daily highs at or below freezing and over night lows in the single digits, what measurement of added ice could be expected daily the next week for all you wizards on ice making !!

I have noticed many small perms (and some large) hitting the ice in SE Mn the past few days. Worried this cold snap we get will cause all sorts of bad logic and a tremendous amount of pressure all at once.

there is no snow that is coming. As of right now, Alex is at a temp where it feels like -25. Buckel up boys and girls. Winter is finally here.

Looks like the snow on Sunday is going to stay more in the Iowa area. Good news up here for people wanting ice to form, bad for the snowmobilers. smile.giffrown.gif

The currrent temps in the Selkirk region this morning is -35

C, or -31 F, either way you slice it's extremely cold! Ice has not been an issue up here this winter in fact this cold snap might have us using auger extensions for Lake Winnipeg!

A balmy -18 F this moring in Valley City. Going to be a great day predicted high of -5 F

Quote:

The currrent temps in the Selkirk region this morning is -35

C, or -31 F, either way you slice it's extremely cold! Ice has not been an issue up here this winter in fact this cold snap might have us using auger extensions for Lake Winnipeg!

Lucky you, its only been a dream down here as of late. Now this is more like it. Just need the wind to die down since it won`t help freeze all the open water we have around here.

wow, its so cold outside i dont even wanta go out there. Kinda scary, but yet its about time that we finally get some cold weather, we have been so spoiled.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• And when it happens it will probably have one if it's main ingredients just happen to be alcohol based. Strange how that works.    
    • LOL     Why is this ancient thread being revived?  I'm waiting for the product placement in this saga.
    • I say don't keep any gas in anything that is going to sit. Any problems with fuel are water problems not the alcohol. You take out the alcohol in Minnesota in winter you get frozen fuel lines. This was common in winter for decades until ethanol was added but they used isopropyl rather than ethyl alcohol. In fact many of the " remedies" are just other forms of alcohol. If you get so much water in the fuel that the alcohol gets saturated and phases out then you have a contamination issue and the problems won't be solved by  removing the alcohol. You will just have more unbound water sitting at the bottom of your tank building sludge.   Lots of the problems with small engines are derived from the chemicals that come up with the crude in the well. Companies blend this into the fuel rather than pay to dispose of it and that is what gunk's up the fuel system. Gumout was invented long before ethanol and carb cleaner was a regular maintenance procedure needed because of those chemicals mucking up the fuel system. Alcohol is a very good solvent and it does a good job of cleaning up deposits left from those chemicals but as a consequence of that cleaning action you will get clogged Jets and such periodically. But in that case alcohol is the good guy that is cleaning up the dump left behind by the fuel. 
    • I tell people all the time do not use ethanol at all in equipment your store for extended times. I often hear but, but I use it in my car all the time. I respond do you drive your car often? Yes they say. I tell them then your fuel did not have time to become water saturated. There is good reason wise car collectors store their prized classics with non-ethanol fuel only.
    • Bacterial growth in carb bowl filled with water & ethanol. The ethanol component of the fuel becomes saturated with water and settles to bottom of fuel tank. Over time it goes down fuel line by gravity into carb bowl as fuel evaporates out. The water saturated ethanol separates from gasoline as it is heavier.
    • Here is some of the jelly from water being absorbed by ethanol and then bacteria acting on it. Luckily I caught this early before it caused more corrosion. Will post pic of rag with "jelly" (bacterial slime) I pulled out of this carb bowl. Stihl also has some wonderful pics & warnings of damage done by ethanol you can google.
    • Oxidizers were federally mandated in 1997. Politicians took big contributions from the ethanol industry which is set up to benefit ethanol manufacturers and big operations. It has in fact hastened the demise of small and medium farms and the rural communities that depended on them. The farm belt has suffered greatly as a result of regulations passed that benefit the big operations. Small & medium farmers cannot compete with growing ag corporations who can buy seed with big discounts, often exploit illegal workers and can ship product cheaper. Corn had it's short 10 year or so boon after 1997. But that went bust as more marginal land was tilled under & overproduction was achieved to the benefit of ethanol producers. Many farms are still going bust or selling out to the big corporations. 75% of the land in production is owned by big corporate farms. 30 years ago you could flip that number around. So what has this gov't subsidy done for most farmers? Put them out of business!
    • Sorry if I came across as a bit abrasive.  Some of us can get a little surly around here and sometimes we forget we aren't talking to one of the other surly long-timers.   I get what you're saying about a more hunting specific truck with some specific bells and whistles designed with hunters in mind.  I do think the best way to get a truck like that would be to find the base model truck you like for all of the normal stuff trucks come with and then look for some sort of after market option.  There has to be a pro or 2 out there that can take on such a project if you aren't up for tackling it yourself.  I'd be a bit nervous cutting into a new truck as well so would look to hire it out as well.   A couple things that I'd like.  A winch in the bed like you mentioned.  Could be used for loading deer, portable ice houses, or other large loads when you don't have another guy to help. Some sort of instant heat or maybe an app that could start your car from the stand. Maybe some sort of gun safe type lock box behind the seats or in the floor so that if you can keep your rifle or shotgun cased and locked up.  It could be useful for times you may want to sneak out for a hunt after work and you want a better way to secure your firearm when at work.
    • Just a seasoning packet. Adjust the recipe as you see fit. A late summer batch with fresh sweet corn off of the cob works pretty well.     
    • I have a nice truck, but.... For 1 week a year there are things that I would like to change/add. Keyless start would go with keyless entry, like the new ranger boat, punch in your number and go. I can not turn off my lights on my gmc sierra. I install 12v electronics professionally but I wouldn't feel as comfortable cutting into wiring harnesses to add switches as I am tearing all wiring from a boat and doing it from scratch. I'm not trying to hide from the animals, I don't want people to know where my hunting spots are and chrome sticks out bad. I go farther and climb higher and sit longer than 95% of fellow hunters which is why I average 6.3 deer/year (legally) but people who know of my success will seek out my parking spot and return thinking that its the only good spot to hunt. Anyways... I was just trying to open up a friendly conversation about a perfect hunting rig to get people out of the political talk that HSO seems to be about. My best stand is walking distance from my house so all I need a truck for is to retrieve my bucks. Was hoping for something besides abrasive comments and criticism that seems to follow most of my posts. I'm sorry I will quietly read and keep my fingers away from the keyboard. I made it into the ALL TIME RECORD BOOK with a 172" typical public land giant when I drove a 2000 Chev Malibu 24k gold edition anyway. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful time.