• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Possible world record?

Snag

the story is fishy at best. could very well be true - but why hide the pictures and continue to talk about it if you were told to wait for your "payday".

cash the check and post the pics - would love to see this thing!

Stratosman,

The fish is claimed to have been caught on the same day as the 50 pounder caught row trolling.. Same day, different fish... I guess I believe this story as much as the story of the guy claiming to have found a 41" walleye washed up on the shore of Mille Lacs.. I am still waiting to see those pictures, and I am sure everyone will be waiting a while to see the pics of this new world record... Hopefully I am wrong, but I would bet it is not real...

A legit 70lb musky would be sweet - is this guy claiming its 70+lbs? Course ya gotta remember its from WI, he might have had too many Leinie's and forgot how to read a scale! Guess we'll have to wait and see. Better get the record alliance over there to make sure he's not stuffin bags of ice down its gullet! shocked.gif

are you so sure that they cant get to 70lbs???

"Which begs the question, "Well, what's THE World Record NOW Wade?" And of course I'd have said without hesitation- ROBERT MALO'S JUNE 6, 1954 70# 4oz MONSTER IS THE REAL WORLD RECORD! Caught in Middle Eau Claire Lake on a sucker and shot at landing. Scales and IGFA/Field & Stream certifications aside, is there any doubt it's gigantic?"

http://www.geocities.com/complexfishing/images/malolarge.jpg

not sure how to post a pc here, so it came up as a link

Malo would have to be 7 and a half feet tall in that picture for that fish to be a world record. That fish would have to be 63"x30" to be over 70.

I agree that there is no such muskie. We are living in one of the most prosporous time in muskie fishing history and I don't see a 70#er comming. But hey, anything is possible.

And at least all those guys that were crafty enough so that the Canadian don't hold it! grin.gif

It does make me wonder, what were the people that wieghed these fish thinking? Was it a covert op?

John

The Facts:

There was a legitimate 50 lb + fish caught on November 30th by an older gentleman row trolling. He kept it. Yes it was huge. There are plenty of photo's not to mention the man's reputation to vouch for it. That is for the original post.

Second, the other supposed giant fish was in fact a hoax/joke by an individual on the Musky Hunter web site. He set out to teach everyone a lesson. I am not going to say more about that.

Finally, I don't have the exact info in front of me but I do believe the DNR has netted fish in excess of 60" on several occasions. Good luck getting them to say where though.

I suspect that a new world record is closing in within the next few years. Several state records could probably already have been broken if the guys catching the fish had wanted to keep their catch. They didn't.

In the end we can only speculate about how big these fish can get. No one really knows. Huff and puff, bluster all you want, but NO ONE knows. Blowing harder won't prove anything.

I hope I catch the next world record. The state record was only 2&1/2 inches away this fall. That would be cool!

Tight Lines,

Steve

A thought occured to me while reading another post questioning the maximum size of a fish - what's the maximum size that a human can grow to? 200 pounds is a keeper? 400 is a trophy in anyones book? 600 is impossible? What about 1000?

Point is - who are we to say how big a fish can grow. Genetic mutations occur. There are definitely freaks of nature out there. Do the majority of us just assume that fish are only as big as we've actually seen in person? Pictures don't seem to hold weight because they can be manipulated.

All I know is the next time I hook into something that doesn't budge, or suppose it straightens the hook out, I certainly won't curb my imagination as to what it could be. After all, isn't that why we keep going back... to catch the big one!

I think its more than possible. I guarentee thats theres many of them out there. There are plenty of seasoned fisherman who have seen truly enormous fish. A 60 inch fish with a 31/32 inch girt is huge obviously, but out of the realm of possibility????