• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow-Mount Trolling Motors

gunflint

Question

I've been considering a Bow-Mount trolling motor for a year or two. The reason is so that I can do live bait presentations in the wind. With my rig I'm good for backtrolling in winds up to about 15 mph, anything over that and I'm out of the game. Splash guards are out because I would need to haul the boat to Duluth and have them custom built and I change motors every couple of years anyway. Has anyone with a Bow-Mount noticed a significant improvement in fishing in the wind with them? I would keep the transom mount on also. For $700 Would I be able to fish in winds from 15 to 25mph? Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Quote:

Splash guards are out because I would need to haul the boat to Duluth and have them custom built and I change motors every couple of years anyway

A set of splash guards is going to be a lot less than a bowmount. I've only had WaveWackers (not too familiar with the other brands) and they have flexible rubber flaps between the poly and the motor. The rubber flaps can be cut/trimmed as needed, and are replaceable -- so changing motors every few years shouldn't be an obstacle.

Quote:

Has anyone with a Bow-Mount noticed a significant improvement in fishing in the wind with them?

Yes. But it depends on wind strength, wave height, your boat, and how you're trying to fish. A bowmount is not going to be as powerful or quick to respond as a gas outboard. But it gives you some options and versatility.

Quote:

Would I be able to fish in winds from 15 to 25mph?

Depends on how how you're trying to fish and how big the waves are, and how powerful your motor is and how heavy your boat is. Will it pull you head-on into that much wind if you're dragging rigs? It should, but the gusts may push you back or to the side. Will it hold you over a spot for a verticle presentation? It should. Will it allow you to slip with the wind, drift, give you great control with a driftsock? Yes.

If you're not sure you want to go with a bowmount, I'd look into the splash guards first. And if you go with a bowmount, go with as much power/thrust as you can. Good luck.

I looked into splash guards last year and for my boat they would have to be custom made for about $275. That's about half of what a Bow-Mount would cost. Plus a 250 mile round trip to Duluth. And I have a very short transom so the slash guards really wouldn't give me much.

I would have to go with a 12 volt so I would be limited to 55# thrust and a 48inch shaft but that should be plenty for my 16 footer. I just need enough power to turn spinners, and keep the bow into the wind. If I need more power for crankbaits I can run the outboard. I hate loosing fishing time to wind. Some of the best fishing is on windy days.

For $700 you should be able to get a 55lb thrust bow mount with Auto Pilot. That should be plenty for your light rig. I say AP because that works best for my type fishing which is probably close to what your doing. Not to mention with clients and or kids in the boat to tend to, the AP is so nice to have. Just point it to your next marker and it will bring you there.

I think that the situations you propose to use it in might be quite the opposite that I use mine in though.

If you get one you might find you'll back troll less, especially in no to moderate wind and waves.

When I troll into high winds I troll forward with the outboard, I might even use the AP to steer or stay the coarse with let the outboard push.

Side and following wind I use the bow mount. Add a drift sock and back trolling to the mix and you can have total boat control in any situation.

In high winds depending on the length ans size of your boat the shaft length is generally as much of a factor as the power of you bowmount. In a boat longer than 16 ft a 48" shaft will definitely have times that it spends as much time out of the water as in thus lowering is useful power significantly. Something else to conside.

I routinely fish in high winds with my splashguards. For me slashgaurds are more of a necessitythan the bowmount for the situation your describing. But that's me and the way I fish.

Good Luck!

I have a Lund Pro V 1800 that I would guess weighs 2500 lbs with fuel, equipment and passengers. I have a 74 lb Minn Kota Maxium Auto Pilot that pulls this rig around in all kinds of wind. I fish big water (Rainy, LOW, Lac Suel) and I've never had any problems pulling my rig into the wind with this unit. If you decide to get a bowmount I highly recommend getting an Auto Pilot. Manual steer can get to be a lot of effort and require constant attention wind the wind is squirlly. Nice thing about an auto pilot is that you can always switch it off.