• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice house insurance

End of the Line

I know this has been similar posts about this before but i thought I would share what my insurance agent sent me about ice house insurance with him. He's an Allstate Insurance agent if your wondering.

Well, it’s almost that time of year again when hearty Minnesotans will once again hit the frozen lakes in search of “big one”. Have you seen some of the fish houses that are now out there on the lakes? They have evolved into, quite literally, small trailers or shacks. Some are livable spaces with shingled roofs, electricity, and wheels. So, how do we cover something as sophisticated as that?

Well, here are some things to consider...

1. If the fish house is ON A WHEELBASE (axle and wheels) and can be pulled, Allstate is now allowing the agents to list them under the Auto Policy, as they would a trailer.

2. However, if the fish house is NOT ON A WHEELBASE , the coverage would come from the Homeowers/Renters Policy. It is considered a “contents” item and would be subject to the named perils listed in the policy.

NOTE: Please keep in mind that if the fish house is indeed on a wheelbase and not listed on the auto policy, it is still considered a trailer and the Homeowners/Renters will limit coverage to $1000. Keep in mind on theft losses, the $1000 coverage is only available if the fish house is stolen from the residence premises. If it is stolen from another location, there is no coverage at all.

I got my insurance for $61 semi-annually for my house with a $250 deductible. I could have chosen a policy that would be $91 for a $50 deductible. I put on 12K worth of insurance.

But with most auto insurance, doesnt your policy become void as soon as you drive on lake? so then the insurance is just to cover the fish house when it is not on the lake. which makes sense too, because it actually spends more time on solid ground than on the lake.

check with your ins. agent and ask them what happens if you fall through the lake driving...you might be surprised to find out that you probably are covered!!!

I checked with my agent. I am covered if I fall through the ice, it’s an accident, right? - I can only claim 1,000 bucks for any thing towed behind my vehicle though. I bought 7,000 bucks worth of fish house insurance for 47 dollars a year - deductible 500

O.K. lets say my pull behind house is only worth $900.00? Do I need insurance on my ice house, or am I ok as long as what ever happens, happens while in tow behind my vehicle?

I realize if it caught on fire, that would be my tough luck, but in the case of an auto accident, it's covered?

It doesn't make alot of sense for me to have insurance on my old ice house, but I would hate to get nothing if it was in an accident ya know...

I'll have to call my agent and see what he says.

Thanks.

liability insurance, which is required in MN, extends from the insurance on the tow vehicle. as long as your truck is insured, you're fine. so if you backed into something, or took a corner too tight and clipped a new Lexus...you'd be covered.

my understanding is anything hooked up to your vehicle is covered under your vehicle insurance (up to a $$$ amount - like mine is 1,000) Fire??? Maybe the comp would pay? Have to ask the insurance dude.

I'm also a "good hands" agent in NY and what the first person posted from my fellow agent is correct! You are covered when driving on ice for the water damage to the vehicle but we don't cover the recovery costs or any resulting fines. They "might" pay out of your towing coverage for some recovery costs but it would usually only be up to $125 at the most.

I'm an insurance agent up here near Alexandria. I'll toss in some thoughts.

Comprehensive on vehicle will pay for the damage to the vehicle. Recovery costs are determined on a company by company basis.

Liability is the only thing extended from a vehicle when towing. So, you are covered if you damage someone elses property but you are out of luck if you damage an uninsured trailer.

There might be some coverage under your home owner's policy for a limited amount of while being towed.

Fish houses can be either part of your personal property subject to the terms and conditions of your home owner's policy or they can be a scheduled item which allows you slightly better coverage and your choice in picking a deductible.

The bottom line is that each company is different and you should contact your agent to be sure your shack is covered the best way for your needs.

Randy