• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Perfect laker ice fishing rod

Scoot

I want to try ice fishing for lakers this winter. My dad is a custom fishing rod builder. What rod should I have him build me for wrestling with lakers through the ice?

So basically what I'm asking here is this- can you describe to me the perfect rod for fishing for lake trout through the ice?

Thanks,

Check out Thorne Brothers and either buy a rod from them or get the blank they use to build their Laker Rod's (they'll sell you the blank). I picked up a couple of lighter duty blanks from them the other night to build out the way I want (different grip and guide arraingement).

I have a 34 inch st croix premier spinning rod for fishing outside and a Genz stick baitcasting rod for in the shack or when it is warm out. Both are heavy action and can handle big fish but don't take the fun out of catching smaller ones as well. If you are on a tight budget, I also have a HT heavy action rod that works good as well.

A couple guys last year asked me to build them Laker ice rods. I used a medium heavy blank @ 28 inches and both guys thought that they were the cats meow. I really think the length is relative to personal choice and how much room you have in your ice shack.

I agree on the length thing. I have three laker rods, from 28 to 36 inches. Two baitcasting, one spinning. The 36-inch baitcasting Genz rod, medium-heavy action, is almost too long to use in my flipover shelter. The 40-inchers and longer that the In-Fisherman guys use just wouldn't cut it in close quarters.

I also prefer a graphite composite, especially when fishing outside in the cold. Graphite can snap, and if you use superbraids, that's even more possible. Lakers hit hard and make sudden, powerful runs, and a composite rod with mono is more able to take the pressure in cold weather. Inside a shack, doesn't matter as much.

the best one I have used is the berkely rod, in medium. I also have the frabil, but the berkely is much better, using a baitcaster with ice line in about 8-10 pound test. very good hooking backbone and great sensitivity.

Hey Scoot -

After making a couple dozen trout rods my preference is either solid graphite, solid glass or solid carbon. Problem is (at least for me) the first is hard to find at all and the last 2 are are hard to find with an action sufficiently heavy for lakers. Hollow glass and graphite will snap a lot more easily, especially if using them outside. I thought hollow glass would hold up, even with superbraids, but had one break using Power Pro. I've never broken an ice rod, even hollow (conventional) graphite, but know a lot of people who have - most during hooksets.

If you're fishing outside the longer rod provides a lot more leverage for hooksetting in deep water with mono. But as mentioned previously something around 30" works better inside a portable or else you if you hit the roof during the hookset you risk losing the fish. They have hard mouths so razor sharp hooks and hard hooksets are the norm. Canadian tackle shops often carry factory rods with blanks like a pool cue which I don't recommend because they have no flex for the fight, although a lot of fish have been caught on them. Some guys like long handles on deadsticks so they can prop them up in the snow without getting the reel in the snow. Lastly use bigger diameter guides (12mm & up) and tip top to reduce the ice build up problem. How could I contact your dad? Maybe we could trade some components.