• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

17 HMR and coyotes

Cootz

Was wondering if anyone has taken a coyote with one of these yet. Just picked myself up a Remington 597 and the only thing I've gotten a chance to hunt is Jacks. How well will it penetrate? I know it goes right through a jack but am wondering if it will go through a Yote as well?

There are much better calibers for coyotes. I'd say a .204 would be the smallest I would go.

Shooting a 25 grain bullet will be like slinging a spit wad at them. It won't retain any energy and it'll be subject to a lot of wind drift.

.17 HMR is going to have either a 17 or a 20 grn pill.

A 17 Rem centerfire, will have somewhere between a 20 and 35 grn pill.

A 17 HMR, and a 17 Rem, are two different animals, completely.

While a 17 Rem is not my first choice, on coyotes, I can tell you that it does perform well on coyotes with well placed shots. OK, before anyone asks, a 22-250 would be my round of choice on coyotes.

I have a HMR, but wouldnt ever take it out where a encounter with a coyote would be planned.

Quote:

They now make a FMJ round for the 17HMR.

That makes even worse, it's small caliber and will go through and out with no damage. Don't use FMJ anywhere, get something that expands and does damage.

I wasn't asking about the 17HMR and if it was a good round to use or not or even trying to bring up conversation on what was everone's personnal favorite coyote round. I was just wondering if anyone had actually used this round to take a coyote. In my opinion if this round passes through a coyotes lungs and exits out the other side it isn't much different then an arrow passing through and nobody who hunts thinks bow hunting is inhumane. I was going to use this round to take a coyote so I can tan it. If I wanted to blow the !@#$ out of an animal I'd use my 220 swift. I don't agree that full metal jackets are evil. I suppose if a person is irresponsible and doesn't learn how to place a shot and take the time on target practice then yes, by all means you shouldn't use full metal jackets. But speaking for myself who shoots thousands of rounds a year out of my guns, then I see no problem using full metal jackets.

There are lots of things possible to do, but that does not mean that we should do all possible things.

If you are talking a field point arrow I don't disagree, but if you are talking a broadhead, and if I HAD to choose, I think I'd take my chances being hit with a 17 HMR FMJ over a broadhead.

The 17HMR/coyote question is very popular.

The answers are not.

The 17 can do a good job, but head shot with the FMJ is important. The 20 grain "game point" can do a fair job on the lungs (from what I have read), but is not preferred by most.

I had my chance at Christmas. I had planned to take my 17 "up north" but forgot it. On the way home from bowhunting for an hour I saw a coyote on top of some hay bales about 100 yards from the road. If I would have had my gun along I could have had a shot. The field had a hump next to the road and I could have pulled over and crawled up to the edge of the field with luck. Oh well.

Good luck and go for the head.

And here is a link with the info you ar looking for. EXPERENCES with the 17HMR, not opinions.

rimfirecentral com/forums/showthread.php?t=141020&highlight=pheasants

Or search rimfirecentral for "17HMR coyote".

And www varmintal has a good amount of info about the 17, but also says the 17HMR is poor for coyotes and larger.

Most of the bigger rifles dont do that much damage to a yote, my 204 puts a small enty and thats it. Even the 22-250, and or a 220 won't blow them up, you hit them high they will always get a hole in them, bullet placement is key and with the right bullet you have no fur damage. I did post that i shot a coyote with the 17, but like i said, 50yds, broadside, it took two behind the front shoulder and it was still breathing and moving when i gave it one to the head. Maybe have someone trap you one or snare one, no holes in those.

I shot the coyote on my avatar last year with a .243 with Silvertip 55gr thorugh the chest at 150yds, you couldn't even see the exit hole.

If you are looking for fur, find a bullet that will allow that, shooting small calibers just to wound an animal is not the smartest choice. You asked for an opinion and we all gave it to you, if you take it as an offense too bad, still the fact of shooting a predator with a .17 HMR is pointless. Try shooting a rhino with a .270 and let me know about shot placement.

Cootz,

I have a HMR, and no, I havent shot a coyote with it.

Now, that doesnt mean that if I had it in my hands and one presented itself to me that I wouldnt take a precise shot to the noggin at a distance of 50 yds or less, because I'm quite sure I would.

I just wouldnt carry it as a dedicated coyote gun. Its not big enough.

If I had a .220, I'd Load the swift down, with a 55 grn spitzer, about 35-3600 fps or a 52 BT, and punch the coyote in the breadbasket, either from the side, or from the front. From the side, you will get a 1 1/2 exit hole, at worst,(easily fixable, when tanned) unless you get up too high, and break out the top. From the front, there will be no exit hole.

Almost every shot I take, has some conscious decision about where I'm planning on hitting him, in regards to being fur friendly. Depending on how they are laying, there usually are several options available, and blow out, whther out the back, or the neck is always considered and avoided if at all possible. I dont like sewing needless holes, especially the ones where the fur flies.

After rethinking field point/broadhead I'd agree with you Whoaru99. What I was trying to get from the post was actual experiences of using the 17 versus peoples opinions.

Thnks Snapcrackpop/hunterlee, reply was more of what I was looking for.

I've had a 17 for a couple years, and have taken 6 yotes with it. I have only taken shots that are less than 75 yards, and to the head if I can. They are not the best if shot anywhere else..Just a little small. Very good rifle for Jacks. I have had more fun with that rifle than any other one I have owned. My first choice is a 22-250 for most Varmit shooting. There might be better, but that is what I have and can shoot it very well. CAJ