• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris or Honda

DRH1175

After pulling my gear out yesterday at mille lacs on foot I better get it soon. Hondas are a bit cheaper too. The only aspect that gets me is the AWD vs the limited slip however I am not sure if it really should be an issue

i have owned 2 polaris atvs and the first one i had quite a bit of trouble with but it was also used when i bought it and the second i bought used but only a few years old its a sportsman 500 and its been pretty good to me so far other that a few worn out things here and there its never failed me when ive needed it and always has plenty of power i cant speak about the honda since ive never owned one i think either machine would be a good choice

You better hang on to it then. My buddy got a new 2004 and it has more recalls then a Ford he says. He is very disappointed he didn't buy a Polaris. But hey he did save a couple of bucks.

Before I made My ATV purchase I watched the classified ads for a while ,,,did see several Polaris, Artic Cat, Yamaha, Kawis and Suzis,,,I called on the few Hondas I found and all were sold already ,,all sold the day the ad came out ,,thats what sold me on a Honda and I have no regrets what so ever ,,,I now have a Honda snow blower, lawn mower and 50 Honda on My boat ,,But My motorcycles are all Harleys

Randoid

all machines are gonna break at some point, its all in the maintenance and how you take care of them.

unless your honda/yamaha has a front locker its just 3x4 or a 3-wheel wonder.

The Polaris runs around in 2WD and when 4WD is needed it kicks in, gets you through the bad stuff, then goes back to 2WD when 4WD isn't needed any more. It's all done quietly, smoothly, and without any driver input.

I just don't see at what point would 3 wheels pulling for you would be better than 4... Buy a polaris, hit the switch and watch the front wheels dig. Not count the tread on one tire,.... regards

Yeah, with polaris you hit the switch and hope it works! At least that's what happened to the polaris I had, and several others I've ridden with.Yamaha, and Suzuki have diff. lock on there 450's and 660-700's.When you want 4 WD you get 4 WD. The polaris I had was Brand New, so the maintenance thing was not true at all for me. If you now say I had a lemon I have alot of people I know that will never own one again after having owned one themselves.

Quote:

Yeah, with polaris you hit the switch and hope it works! At least that's what happened to the polaris I had, and several others I've ridden with.Yamaha, and Suzuki have diff. lock on there 450's and 660-700's.When you want 4 WD you get 4 WD. The polaris I had was Brand New, so the maintenance thing was not true at all for me. If you now say I had a lemon I have alot of people I know that will never own one again after having owned one themselves.

I have the yamaha kodiak 450.. 1st year they had the 450(03). The 4wd has been flawless... so has the machine pretty much.

Whats really nice its push button select on 2 wd, 4 wd, and differential lock 4x4. 2wd is ideal for most situations, and easiet to drive without fatigue. 4wd has much better traction and sometimes performance depending on the situation with a little more effort needed for steering, but glad to have it when pulling a trailr across the ice. Differential lock is a whole new story.. those tires are going to turn and the machine will cling, throw mud, whatever it has to do... but its no fun to try to steer for any given amount of time with it engaged, it will wear you out in extreme riding. Once you have a machine that has a selectable no-fail drive train, you wont go back to anything else.

I like the individual braking also.. I dont like applying a brake and have both axles brake.. the engine brake, I dont have to use the brakes nearly as much which greatly prolongs the brake pad life(huge bonus).

My only complaint is the rev limiter in reverse.. it seems to limit to about 10 mph which is fine on dry ground... but sometimes I would like more getting out of a mudhole... or at least not have the machine do the intermittant bog while I am trying to go backwards.

I am somewhat neutral (my wife has a Honda) but as you can see in my avatar, I ride green and only have 1WD. With that said, I have noticed alot of people saying they have owned SEVERAL Polaris vehicles. Why several? Just an observation. I like the debate.

I dont know how but i have been told they sell a chip u can install to take care of the rev limiter...and again im not sure if its a chip or something u download but i know a friend of mine on his grizzly 660 had the same issue and now he can do 50mph backwards....maybe someone else can chime in or next time I see him I can ask...I want to say it was like 30 or 40 bucks from dennis kirk...but this was a few years back.

I am also in the market for a new ATV. I am looking at a smaller unit such as the Hawkeye 4x4. Can anyone out there give me their two cents worth on this wheeler. Will be using it mainly for ice fishing and around the house. Are there any other options out there in that you would recommend in the 300-350 CC range?

davidr... thanks for the heads up. I looked for aftermarket parts shortly after we got the machine new and nothing was on the market yet. I'll have to look again before playing around in the mud this year... tread doesnt unload at 10 mph.