• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Paper Tuning

xedge2002

How do you go about paper tuning your bow? I have heard it mentioned a couple of times but don't know how to do it. Also is there anything I would need to do to shoot my bow in the cold? I wouldn't think so but want to make sure it going from warm to cold affects anything. I haven't been out bowhunting in a while so I don't know how it shoots in the cold.

The big precaution that I know of is in the cold make sure you pull your bow back when you get up in your stand and then maybe every once in awhile. this is because in the cold your bow may make some noises. If you pull it back evey so often you should be ok when the monster is at 10 yds. hope that helps

I totally agree with irving dog. Only time I would paper tune is when you just added a new rest and even then a walkback tune is far more effective and easier to do.

Nothing should change with your bow from hot to cold since there is nothing on your bow that would expand or contract with the temp difference. Only thing to do is practice with your bow in the cold. Your body moves in a different range of motion with all those clothes on and it may be too hard to pull back. In that case turn down your poundage and resight in.

When I got certified by PSE under George Chapman, he would emphasize if the arrows are grouping, your in tune. He's had guys worrying about a tail high tear..."take a step back"...bullet hole... paper tuning, and bare shaft tuning are the fine touches...the micro touches toward perfection. Form and consistency need to come first. I can bench tune a bow ...have it shoot bullet holes through paper, then hand it to a shooter who torques the grip or punches the trigger, and the paper tears poorly. The Easton guide will mention all these factors that result in certain tears. But the most important adjustment is tightening the nut behind the bow.

Good luck and good shooting.

So would you say that you shouldn't paper tune until your groupings are rock solid? If you are shooting consistently through the summer would you paper tune a few weeks before the season starts?

Just curious because I have never had a paper tune before...

I think paper tuning is a good thing if done properly... But I only do it to set up a bow.. once set up I dont.. I may check it from time to time, but thats about it.

I paper tune by standing quite close to paper... Adjust to the tear..Then walk back some steps and repeat. It may be darn near impossible to get a 100% bullet hole at all distances.. but I do my best.. Once you get about 15 feet from the target you should get a bullet hole anyway from your fletching... some paper tune bare shaft, but I prefer fletched...

Having a proper spine and FOC is important as well to arrow flight.

If your groupings are rock solid, there's no need to shoot through paper. Try broadheads - if those are grouping good as well, you're ready to hunt. If you've got one arrow in the bullseye, one high, one to the left, etc and you feel like you're on and didn't flinch then you might have some tuning issues. Taking for granted your arrows are straight to begin with. I got my Drenalin a week before turkey season last year - setup it up... sighted it in, never shot through paper and have hunted successfully with it since. If it aint broke, don't fix it right?