• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Sticker

blgoose

I have 92 long track with studs. I have retired it to the cabin. The sled is only used to run from cabin garage to the ice house on the lake. I no I needed a stud sticker to do this in the past, but now the trail sticker has replace the stud sticker.So do I need to get a trail sticker. The dnr web site isnt very clear to me about just lake riding.

Quote:

In simple terms, you only need the trail sticker if you ride the sled on a maintained, groomed or marked trail system.

Which could be a Lake, access or ditch......

You could chance it the first offence is the price of the yearly sticker I believe.

Quote:

You could chance it the first offence is the price of the yearly sticker I believe.

fine is the price of the three year sticker, but you only get a one year sticker.

If you look at the trail maps posted by the DNR they will indicate all of the state trails and grant-in-aid trails. Basically, any trail on the map requires the trail sticker, even if it includes part of a ditch.

as long as the path from your cabin to the lake is not part of a state trail you are fine.

OK here's a little twiss, there's a feeder trail, which is not groomed.Its comes off the boat landing and runs across the lake to a main trail.I have never seen dnr use it, I think only locals and weekend warriors know about it.The regs just are not clear. I'll just spend the $$$$ on 3 year sticker. Thanks for your input.

Absolutely could be a lake, ditch, etc...

A Snowmobile State Trail sticker is required for all snowmobiles operating on state or grant-in-aid trails. - DNR

If you are driving the sled from your cabin to your fishhouse and there are no state or GIA trail system across the lake or nearby to question the issue, it is not necessary. Once you go trail riding on any of those marked trail systems, you need the sticker.

Regardless, the money goes to a good cause of trail maintanance and land acquisition. grin.gif

Quote:

So in order to transport my portable by snowmobile onto and across a lake, I need a trail sticker?

Only if you are riding on a state trail. If you are riding on a lake that has a state trail, and you are towing your fish house, it should be pretty self explanatory that you are on the lake to fish, and not riding through on the trail. If, however, you area riding on the state trail pulling a fish house, and are not on the lake portion of the trail yet, you would need the sticker, since you are "utilizing" the trail.

An example of this is a grant-in-aid trail that bypasses through Detroit Lakes on Hwy 10, a few hundred feet north of my house. If I want to access Big Detroit to fish from my house, I need to ride on the trail, aka ditch/frontage road, for the half-mile or so until I reach the access for Big Detroit. I would need the trail sticker. If I trailered my sled to the access and got on Big Detroit where the trail enters the lake, I would NOT need the trail sticker.

If in doubt, buy the sticker; like Chuck said, the sticker goes towards purchasing easments and trails maintenance.

...and yes they will ticket you for crossing a trail without the sticker. mad.gif

Stupid sticker, stupid trail. crazy.gif

I was the typical target, 20 year old sled pulling a fishouse wearing a plaid wool outfit crossing the trail at a 90* angle. Guess they don't screw around, buy the sticker.

Good Post! I would not have given the lake trail a second thought. I crossed the trail one time with out putting my tag on my sled. Left it on the kitchen table. Got a $50 ticket. I just needed gas. Always better safe than sorry.

My sled is up for 3 year renewal. I had to get a stud sticker in the past.My unerstanding is the trail sticker replaces stud sticker! So I need it, reguardless were I ride my sled. Member # 375

Quote:

...and yes they will ticket you for crossing a trail without the sticker.
mad.gif

Stupid sticker, stupid trail.
crazy.gif

I was the typical target, 20 year old sled pulling a fishouse wearing a plaid wool outfit crossing the trail at a 90* angle. Guess they don't screw around, buy the sticker.

That sounds like profiling to me! I'd call the ACLU. wink.gif