• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insurance

hovermn

I'm in the process of trying to get a hold of my insurance company right now, but while on hold, I figured I'd ask who people are using and if they're happy with the service/rates. The only thread I found from searching was from 2003. Kinda old.

Progressive? How are they.

Geico?

I'm with AIG, anyone go through them?

Thanks

I have mine through American Family. I like to keep all my toys seperate from my homeowners policy.

1998 XC600-comprehensive/liabilty $65 a year

1995 Ski-Doo MX470- liability $34 a year

Less than $100 a year. Collision is more something like $50 more a year for the Polaris, but I only paid $1000 for sled so with a $500 deductible I did not think it was worth it. I use the Polaris for ice fishing so the comprehensive would cover fishing it out of a lake if need be. Insurance for sleds is so cheap, I think it should be required like auto insurance in case you hit someone.

WOW! Just got a quote from AIG (Foremost Insurance). They want $374 for full and $234! YIKES! State farm won't sell me snowmo insurance because I'm not currently a customer of theirs. Geico doesn't insure snowmobiles and I'm waiting to hear back from a progressive agent.

Guess American family is next, but I fear I'll run into the same situ as with State Farm. Choosing to buy a sled could end up costing FAR more than I had planned on. frown.gifmad.gif hmmm.... Anyone want to buy a polaris sport touring? grin.gif LOL Back to the phone calls.

My insurance company insures sleds the same as an automobile, on the auto policy...you can activate the sled policy at any time (I wait til enough snow to ride) and cancel when the snow melts. The remainder of the year it is insured for "storage", comprehensive only for $10/6 months. 6 month riding premium $120, but since I only ride a few months it's not even that much.

I did not know this, but if you ask the right questions...you might be surprised and save some $$. wink.gif

This may not be the case for other companies..

I just got off the phone with American. $50/liability and $180/Full. *sigh* that's much better! I'll probably end up going with them and now I need to remember if they'll do it month to month. Thanks chuck! Guess I get to keep the sled! Now, I just have to pass that safty course crazy.gif

Quote:

Now, I just have to pass that safty course
crazy.gif

Piece of Cake! smile.gif

I must have took that class when I was 12 or 13 and I passed. I remember it was in the VFW in Crookston. We didn't even have enough snow to do the riding portion of the test. I was so bummed! I wanted to ride something better than the 71 Sno Jet. smile.gif

Wow, am I gettin' screwed! I've got Am Fam as well - just called them this week to add my wife's new sled to the coverage. Here's the quote I got:

02 700XCSP $205/yr

98 Indy 500 $137/yr

That's with a $500 deductible for each.

To put it in perspective, I've got about $4500 into the 2 sleds. My boat, on the other hand, is worth over $20K and I pay $266/yr to insure that thing? confused.gif Maybe I should just drop to liability on the sleds?

I have American Family,

I am 25 years old and single.

2006 Polaris 500 XCSP $230/year/$500 Deductible

2005 Polaris 550 Supersport $177/yar/$500 Deductible.

I also have both 2006 Sportsman 500's and both our vehicles and homwowners insurance with American Fanmily, no wonder why my agent likes me so much.

I have very good coverage, probably excessive but I went with 100/300 same as my auto policies.

Just a quick note on that safety class. The state CD test they allow you to take is a heck of a test! My wife had to take it, and man, the questions were very in-depth. Get to know your physics. wink.gif

I would suggest a class....you'll probably learn more than trying to calculate something to the effect "you are traveling at 50mph at night, your headlights illuminate to 100 feet, there is an object 85 feet away. How much time to react, reach the object before a collision, and how many feet will it take to you stop your machine." crazy.gifgrin.gif

There's been a lot of people talking about that test on other sled sites... smirk.gif

Glad I took that as a kid! smile.gif

A few years ago, I really did my homework and passed the written and driving exams for a Class A driver's license. It was tough but could this snowmobile certification be worse? smile.gif

Yeah, the CD's one heck of a test!!! I've only had time to take it twice now. the first time I skipped the chapters and went straight for the test. Got 8 out of 35 questions wrong. Second time, I did a little more than skimed the chapters and got 4 wrong. Tell me, why do I need to remember that I'll have traveled 66 ft vs. 88? Seriously, though!

Any idea how many wrong answers it allows? Hopefully I'll only have to take it one more time!

You are correct. Just passed, with 2 wrong. The time before that, I got 3 wrong. It took a couple more times than I wanted to, but it worked out okay. It got to the point where I hardly had to read the questions anymore, just click on the answer. lol

Anyway, I'm legal now and I never have to take that darn thing again! lol

Quote:

I'm also wondering if you need to show proof of insurance when you go in to renew your sled registration.

I wasn't asked last time. Heck, I wasn't even asked for proof of ownership. smile.gif

The story behind that one is a friend of mine sold me his 92 EXT Special. It had current registration on it the 1st year I owned it. When it expired, they must have sent him the renewal. Knowing I needed to get current registration for the sled, I went in to renew the registration and explained the situation. They called up the registration numbers on their computer, put my name & address etc into the computer and printed me new stickers. Done deal. smile.gif

A warning to anyone out there that has there "toys" attached

to their homeowner's policy. Traditionally this would be

know as a rider or endorsement. In the State of Minnesota if you

have two "chargeable" losses in three years, any insurance

company can cancel your homeowners. Thus, if you crack up

your snowmobile in the winter and take your lower unit off

your boat motor in the summer, you probably will get cancelled by your homeowner's insurance. It is always better to have a seperate policy on your "toys" that way

it can't affect your homeowner's policy. Plus, once you

are cancelled it will be VERY hard to find a carrier that

will take your home, due to prior losses.

On the insurance:

The post about not putting your toys on your homeowners is somewhat right but not a concern for most people if you have a low claims history and reasonable driving habits. If you do have two or more losses in a short time, generally a good company will only cancel your policy on the toy with the claims and will not cancel the rest of your policies unless there are red flags for them in those areas as well. Why would they give up their bread and butter which is your home and cars unless there were a problem there as well?

Generally your homeowners insurance company will give you the best deal on rates for your toys as a way of saying thanks for doing business with them. But, I do get a kick out of how the big name companies like state farm have such good rates on the toys. Believe me, you are paying for it in other ways with those companies! Just try comparing your rates on your total package sometime and you will see what I mean. There are plenty of A rated companies with excellent service out there that are much lower priced.

One other note about ChuckN's post. Most insurance companies know that your snowmobile is being driven a certain amount of time and stored the rest of the year. They should (and most do) price accordingly. If you are paying a good rate with a good independent company, you will actually pay less than what ChuckN posted in most cases and won't have to hassle with the changes. You also have the same good coverage all year as well. Not being critical of his way of doing it, just noting that it isn't always the best idea if you have a good company and policy to begin with.

Just one more thing to the guy with the 700 cc: Your rate is so high on that sled because of the higher cc's. Generally over 600 cc's are going to be hit much higher. And, you won't save much by just going with liability since it is liability your company is concerned with the most.

ccarlson