• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Hunts ?

broken line

I'm new to the archery world, and recently bought my bow. I plan to practice this winter and next summer and am looking forward to hunting deer next fall. Wondering if any of you have participated in the "special permit archery hunts", like Camp Ripley or others, and what they were like. Your experience or opinions would be great. I'd like to know if this would be a good way to try a first bow hunt.

As far as Ripley is concerned, that not really the one for beginners. Its pretty cut-throat as far as people getting in line and rushing to "their" spots.

Some of the metro hunts can be really good. You are assured a high deer density. The on ething with bow hunting that I've learned is that you have to be very specific about where you place your stand because the distance you need that deer to close is so small. With rifle you can hunt an entire swamp or entire field. WIthi bows you have to focus very carefully on specific trails and sign. I think the hardest part about bowhunting for me has been the scouting and stand placement. I can hit targets all day long, I can sit all day in my stand without moving, but if the deer aren't near you you can't put everything together.

I have never done one of those & don't find them real attractive, but either way I think they'd be especially frustrating to a beginner.

Ideally you want to find a piece of private land if you can, even if it's only 10 acres, that has a few deer & try to figure them out. Even if you get permission just to hunt a fenceline corner where deer occassionally come, it can be good. If possibly you want to be the only one bowhunting & better yet if you're the only one hunting period. Some of the smallest places can be overlooked deer hotspots that offer opportunities really only to someone who has the time a bowhunter does.

I have never had a footrace to my deer but one time another did and said he shot it. I let him have the doe as if he wanted it that bad to say he shot it then I figured he could have it. Funny thing is the blood trail went all the way back to within 20 yards of my stand. confused.gif