• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Computer needs a clean job???

joe_stack20

I got some bugs and dump on my computer anyone know of any good cleaners i could run on my computer to get rid of these...i might just have to hire a Computer guru to give it a once over....any suggestions....Win32 is on there alot when i see my AdwareSe go thru it!

If you have a big box name ie: dell, gateway, Hp etc.

Your pc should have came with a master restore disk.

Running this cd from a reboot should restore your pc to the day you took it out of the box. It will delete anything and everything you have added so make good backups of any files, pictures, etc.

This is the best way to clean a pc IMO, others will say its not required. To each there own I guess.

To start with, I'd download Ad-Aware Personal Edition from Lavasoft (free on download_DOT_com). Another free one I've used is Spybot Search & Destroy. Both of these will scan your PC and flag questionable files, etc., and you can remove them through the tool also.

Have fun!

Joe,

I second Adaware and Spybot. They are both good free programs for removing gunk. I would suggest updating both those programs to the latest definition files, and then starting the computer in safe mode. You can do that by tapping one of the F keys, usually F8, as the computer starts up.

A lot of that spyware dump likes to start up when your computer starts, so when you scan for it, it can't be removed. Starting in safe mode prevents everything but the most basic applications and services from starting. A good virus scanner might be useful too. There is a free scanner online, but I can't remember the name right now. Maybe it will come to me later. You can email me if you have other questions.

Eric

ejorgenson at gmail dot_com

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Shortly after the POST screen (or manufacturer's load screen), press F8 and select to start your computer in safe mode (preferrably with networking). Then go to the above HSOforum listed. Follow the instructions and it'll run a free online virus & popup scanner on your entire computer. It should just about get everything (I have seen some stubborn adware on computers that NOTHING except for a format and reinstall could get rid of).

Quote:

I believe you would have to go into safe mode with networking, otherwise you would not be able to use the internet.

I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think you need to select "with networking" if you're using dial-up access.

You can also go to a few other forums out there and post a question and they will actualy help you totaly clean your computer and offer free programs to help.

I second the Adaware and spybot and a good Virus scanner.

ShawnnyB

Quote:

Quote:

I believe you would have to go into safe mode with networking, otherwise you would not be able to use the internet.

I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think you need to select "with networking" if you're using dial-up access.

Good point, I was thinking of broadband access, which I think needs safe mode with networking. I forgot that people still use dial up crazy.gif

Quote:

Good place to find alot of the software that was mentioned is at majorgeeksdotcom and any other junk you might want to put on your computer.

Yup.

A "mild" case can be removed with some of the stuff already recommended, but if one has a particularly nasty infestation, go to the MajorGeeks HSOforum, then at the top of the page go into "Support Forums" and then on that page scroll down and go into "Malware Removal". In the Malware Removal forum there is a sticky thread called "READ & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking For Support".

It is a methodical, step-by-step process that tells you what to do, when to do it, and what programs to use to thoroughly clean out all the dump.

I have used it a couple times to get rid of some really nasty stuff. It can be time consuming, but it works 100% if you follow the instructions EXACTLY.