• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What ATV to buy??

RocketRich

I am looking to purchase an ATV to move around on the ice with and pull my clam lodge around. What is an ideal size to get? I don't want to over horsepower and I don't want a dog -- or am I over thinking the issue? Rocket

You're over thinking the issue. A 300cc machine is all you'd ever need. But, if you plan on adding 30-inch tires, you'll need to go bigger. Your wallet would dictate what you need, too.

I had 2 Xplorers and they were great machines. However I hated waiting for the thing to warm up and almost was stranded on a remote lake because of a foul plug. I just got a Polaris X2 and can't wait for the season to start. It is going to be nice to put everything in the box and go with out worring if it is going to slide off. Another nice thing is it is EFI so I won't have to let it warm up for 5 minutes.

i had a 400 big bear, plenty of power but i wanted more speed and a better ride. i went to a grizzly 660 which has independant rear suspension and love it. hardly a need for choke it runs great winter and summer. i've road sportsmans they are nice. i know of a couple deals on forums i visit, if interested send me an email to [email protected] as i dont think i can post the links here

I would buy new that way you know exactly how the machine was taken care of. I would buy a 500 prefferably with EFI. I have 2-2006 sportsman 500 EFI's and am thinking of adding an 800 to the mix. A 500 will be plenty for most trail riding and Ice Fishing/Hunting work. I also like dealing with Northway Sports in East Bethel.

I also agree if you can swing the extra cash try to get a new one that way you know you have somthing good, and you get warrenty and all that happy stuff, I have always liked Bristows in St. Cloud they have a huge selection of atvs and they have resonable prices, and they have a big selection of use atvs to.

SIZE DOES MATTER HERE!!! This baby is a Arctic Cat 700EFI, and you can get any attachment with the speedrack you need for any use, I know the bigger ATV's are heavy but they have all the torque you will need, so buy what you can afford and the size you need!!! grin.gif

IMGP0693.jpg

IMGP0700.jpg

Perchjr

Perch jr.. I dont think you need the extra 200 cc's to move the 100# of extra cargo shocked.gif

but it is a nice machine!

Dave.. yes, you need the power to turn those big wheels in the muck! Aggressive tires dont do you any good if you dont have the power to unload the tread in the goo!

Nothing wrong with having extra power when you need it, even when you dont need it.. but its not a neccessity in most peoples needs. A machine to pull around a sled house(not a 20' wheeled or skid house) and any gear a person has.. My old 185 3 wheeler did it just fine, and a 300cc class machine will do it, but I think anyone would be happier with a little more power than what they need. A 400-500 cc class machine is a great entry level machine and should cover the duties within reason quite well.

I am perfectly happy with my machine for ice fishing.. a kodiak(now grizzly) 450 with the differential lock 4x4. It has enough power to do anything comfortably, and its a very capable ice fishing machine. If I am loaded extra heavy with equipment I just hitch the trailer I pulled the machine to the lake onto the back of the wheeler, load up the portables, all the gear, and my fishing partners onto the trailer and go fishing. It also works very well for trail riding, and is as capable as any machine(except for those with 30" mudders) out there.

I would go with brand new also. I just bought my first 4x4, a Polaris 500 and really like it so far. I think 500cc is an all around great size for doing anything. A lot of retailers are offering '06 closeouts right now also. Just make sure you know what you want in the machine, i.e. ground clearance, storage, easily attachable accessories, machine weight, dimensions, heck, even color. Talk to people you know who already own a machine but don't tell them what brand you are looking for so they can give you their unbiased opinion. This months Field & Stream has a page on the midsized wheelers that most outdoorsman buy covering every make except Arctic Cat, it might be of some help. -Strad

Quote:

something fishy,

i am looking at getting a 06 sportsman 500 efi tomorrow.. with a winch... what kind of deal did you get on your pair?

We bought them seperately, we got mine which was a limited edition in March and we got hers in September. I give you the specs on hers.

After Tax/Liscense/Warranty/Accesories/Installation basically out the door.

06 500 EFI (Black/Silver)

3 year $0 deductible warranty

Warn 2.5 winch

Hand/Thumb warmers

Front Brush Guard

Rear Bumper

Lock N Ride cargo box with backrest

rear view mirror

rear rack extender

all came to $7502.04 Picked up at Bristows. We were also pre-approved with financing thru another bank and Bristows worked with us to accomadate that. I worked with Matt Bristow.(320) 253-7878

I would also try to talk to Dan @ Northway Sports (763) 413-8988 he also treated me well on my snowmobile I just purchased.

Roger at Northland Dairy Supply (Polaris Dealer) in Eagle Bend ( 218) 738-2582 was very pleasant to work with on the phone he tried real hard to earn our business (even offered to stay late)

Good Luck, let us know what you pick up.

P.S. Get yourself some hand and thumb warmers they make a huge difference on those cold rides.

well.. i just purchased mine tonight.. a 06 700 efi with the camo package for 6800.. took a lot of wheelin and dealin. whether thats a good deal or not im not sure..i also bought a handwarmer and windshield for 220 installed and got him to throw in a set of tire chains.. did i do alright..?