• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ultimate scrape dripper......

jbtwins24

so heres a question for ya all, does anybody ever use this scrape dripper at all?? i saw it in the store and i bought one, ive talked to some people already about it and they said not to set that out yet. i went around there words and i put it out for 7 days went back to check it today and there was tons of action around it. but i want to know your feed back about the whole thing. thanks a bunch!

jbtwins24,

I have not used one personally but have had friends who had. They have nothing but good things to say but they emphasize scent control (rubber boots and rubber gloves) when settting them up and having an overhead branch. You can even make one by lashing a branch out over the scrape. You probably will see action this early but it will really heat up about two weeks before the rut (mid-Oct. thru week before gun season). By the way, I see that your from Rushford. I grew up in Lanesboro ('78 to '98)and still hunt there frequently. Good to see a Certified Bluff Country Whitetail Nut on the this site! Hope all goes well for you down there. I am sure it will.

rubber gloves and rubber boots when you use a dripper...this time a year is a good time to start....the younger bucks will start to work them and the doe's will use them too.....which is great to get a couple of deers scent in there....I've found once they start using your scrape don't refill your dripper, let the deer keep it going.

Question --

I am hunting in a new area this year and it is all tall grassy and marshy land. You never see "scrapes" around there you see rubs but not true scrapes. Will it work without having a scrape? Just put it on a tree and let them stop by?

How close should I go to my stand?

Thanks

Like FarBeyond Pantera dude stated, just make sure the tree has a suitable licking branch - if not provide one. A length of maple branch with several smaller branches at it end works well, put er about 5.5 ft off the ground.

Gonna get mine out in another week or so. Later.

heres what i did, ive made a mock scrape and put the dripper above it. i just checked mine today and theres alot more buck movement around the area and there was another huge scrape that a buck made just a foot to the right of my mock scrape. im going to be hunting that this weekend to see whos been coming aorund. you could also put it on a scrape thats already there, but its just way better to put a mock scrape there. i would put your stand with in 30 yards of it, maybe im wrong to do that not really sure but ill see if it works. good luck!

i used the scent that it comes with first but if thats not working ill switch to something else. but i have no problem with the scent it comes with. it will work in the pre rut and im guessing the rut. all i can say is that the scent is working well now and who knows about the scent when the rut starts.

Hey guys! Just thought I would throw this out there. It seems like a lot of hunters (me too for a while) hunt scrapes during the rut. This may not be the best time. Usually the deer are more scrape active in the pre-rut. The bucks are always checking for that first "hot" doe. It seems like the deer are actually chasing during the rut and spending less time checking scrapes. Have you guys noticed this?

You clear an area on the ground underneath the overhead branch. Be sure to clear it down to the dirt and rough it up a little. The dripper will put scent onto the cleared ground. Deer will eventually find the mock scrape and work the ground up even more. The overhead branch is also called a licking branch. Deer will lick the branch and also rub their infraorbital glands on it. Buck will sometimes do this very aggressively.

Put the scrape dripper up last sunday. Had a gray fox come into it the first night. Rolled around in it for about 5 minutes. Then Friday night I had a Possum come and do the same thing. No deer yet. Thinking of moving it. I dont know if there scents will affect it or not. I'm giving it a couple more nights then I'm going to move it.