• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Antennas for HDTV

skunk-ape

I recently got a television with an integrated HD tuner. I don't want to pay for HD through my sat. company yet but would like to pull in HD over the air with an antenna. I'm in Arlington about 55 miles from the tower in Shoreview. Have any of you guys had luck getting HD signals from this distance and if so what antenna setup did you use?

BTW, according to the wife we should try to get by with as unobtrusive as possible of an antenna. Thanks in advance!!

Quote:

Any antenna, from plain rabbit ears to the high buck units will work for HD

True, but a 9.99 barbie rod will catch fish like a thorne bros./ pflueger combo does, too. grin.gif If you are in a low spot or have tall buildings obstructing you, you may want to look into a mast and/or directional. A powered, amplified unit is a good idea if it is in the budget. For the distance you are at, you may want to drive around and see what others have done in your area. The local channels aren't in HD yet from your satellite provider, anyway, so you are on the right track to get cheap HD now.

The following HSOforum listed in this post will help you in calculating what type of antenna you will need.

Being a residential satellite contractor, there is more to antennas than one thinks.

They are much like cell phone coverage, some places work great and some don't.

What I recommend to my customers who want HD and don't want to get it through the Sat. company. Is to figure how far you are from Shore view. (location of the twin cities broad cast towers). Then pick the appropriate antenna.

Start with the cheaper ones, surprisingly they will work many times. Make sure the store you are buying from has a good return policy and keep trying until you have to go for the big dog that goes on-top of the house. (even those have a difficult time when you get over 30miles from the towers.

http://www.antennaweb.org

Thought I'd let you guys know what worked for me. After seeing many positive reviews for the Winegard PR-4400 antenna, i tried it. The antenna only cost about $20.00 and it is small. I also attached a pre-amp. Last night I hooked it all up right next to the TV and was thrilled to get perfect reception of all the local HD channels with about 80% signal strength. HD is so cool I'm considering dropping the DirecTV.

Starting small and trying things out is definitely good advice! BTW, www.hdtvtwincities.com is also a great resource for those interested in HD.

Quote:

Sweet Larry....when you coming over to mount my C-band dish "3rd floor" I just picked up.....it's real big might take 2 or 3 guy's and a large Crane........
grin.gif

Tell you What Pier.

Lets mount that thing on the Bow of your boat. Youll never have to spend another penny on gas.... LOL. With a sail that big.

Lots of people still use C-band believe it or not.

but than again lots of people still use turn dial televisions.

I still use my c-band dish. Great picture and you don't have to subscribe to any packaged programing. If all you want to buy is one channel then thats all you pay for. I'm looking for a used sidecar or HDTV receiver to get the digital channels. My dish mounted on top a 2 story garage. Getting it up there wasn't that hard.

Quote:

Quote:

Lots of people still use C-band

So that's how you make those legendary LFC river anchors... grin.gif

Clever.... cool.gif

That now RIP.....all 43lbs on the bottom of the MN river.

Anyone who handled that monster did a big cheers and toast when that thing got deep sixed.

Not to worry though. There will be a second prototype and I will ring you when its ready for testing. LOL.