• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cover scents

Dahitman44

Who uses cover scents and what kind. I used to use fall blend, now I use carbon spray -- Any thoughts on what works best.

BTW -- why does it always seem to be old dudes that sit and chain smoke and don't spray down with anything seem to shoot big deer at a close range.

That is strange ...

The only thing I will usually do is spray some coon urine or fox urine on the bark around my tree stand and make sure I walk into some cow manure for my boots before walking into the woods and one of the best ways to beat that deer nose is to keep the wind in your favor.My clothes I do hang up outside for fresh air or put in a bag of leaves and such.My son puts all his clothes in a bag so nothing gets to stink them up.

A solid scent free regimen is good to follow. I use a combination of cover scents depending on the season/hunting area. Fall Blend and Real Tree.

(Please read forum policy before posting again,Thanks)

Quote:

I like HS fresh earth scent wafers, keep a couple in my garment bag and pin one to my hat.

I'll use these waffers in my H.S bag to keep my clothes smelling like dirt (earth scent).

My typical routine before I walk into the woods, is I'll spray a little fox urine scent on the bottoms of my boots. I also will spray some no-scent stuff over my bow, under my arms and on my legs just as a precaution.

When I get to my stand in the woods, I normally use an acorn scent and spray it on the ladder or trees that are around me.

I agree with Stratosman!!! Those Wafers are awesome! I do the exact same thing. Put my hunting gear in a big plastic tub with a couple scent wafers and also pin one to my hat or coat. Smells like dirt big time. You can smell them, pretty strong if the wind hits them right but yes the best way to fool the Whitetail nose is to work the wind!!! I will also go through quite a bit of scent killer too. We are getting close!!! Can't wait for the first hunt-

I have a scent proof bag, a buddy of mine bought it for me for watching his dog or something to that effect. I think it is also made by Hunters Specialties, has a double liner/zipper and is handy for carrying all my clothes to the field.

I park further and walk more. Take it easy walking. Get there with plenty of time. Take it easy. I usually walk in with my jackets rolled up and strapped to my backpack or in my backpack. less sweating that way.

Hunter Specialities make the Scent proof bag Strato is talking about. It's a green bag and I believe you can buy it in two different sizes- a large size and extra large size. Worth every penny in my book to owning one!

With early season, I normally wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt out to the woods. I'll either throw my pants on (I bought em' a bit to big) over my shorts or just take my shorts off and put my pants on (if's it is too hot). Throw my Scentlok mock T over my t-shirt and I've got my camo gear on. I'll walk a medium distance from the car to the woods and I do get hot. Like Gus says, just take it easy walking out there and when you get in the stand, just relax and you will naturally cool off.