• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arrow straightness importance

Cooter

How important is arrow straightness for the average hunter? For example, will the difference between a Terminator Select(+-.0025) and a Terminator(+-.005) ever come into play in a hunting situation? If you shot both arrows from one of the bow machines what would the difference be? Basically, is it worth the extra $ for arrows a couple thousandths straighter?

How bout this: if I gave you a dozen of each and had you go out and shoot them would you be able to tell which was which?

In a hunting situation or joe average on the range is never gonna tell the differnce. Personally I use the higher tolerance stuff. Highly doubt if I could tell the diff but I do shoot half dollar sized groups at 30yds with broadheads...

Here's another, related question: Does the straightness of an arrow indicate other factors such as weight and spine consistency? I mean, will a dozen straighter arrows be closer in weight and spine than a dozen less straight arrows? (Lesser straighter, most straightest, I'm getting cornfused! frown.gif)

I do not believe the straightness also corresponds to weight tolerance. Most manufactures also publish the weight tollerance +- x grains.

Another tip for guys who cut their own arrows. Most of the deviation in straightness comes from the ends of the arrow. You will get a straighter arrow if when cutting your arrows to length you take a little off both the tip and the nock end of the arrow. I ask my pro shop to do that also. Just cut an inch or so off the nock end and the remaining off the tip end. It should yield a straighter arrow for you.

Now wheather or not you can actually tell a difference in hunting or even target accuracy from a .005 to a .001 arrow is a different story and largely varries more or less by the archers ability. In my opinion if you can shoot quarter size groups you will notice a difference. If you are a baseball or softball size group shooter you will not notice a difference. Thats my opinion anyway.