• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sighting in my bow.

I just bought a Bowtech Tomkat and am trying to get it sited in. I have adjusted the sites and one time will put six arrows in a 3 inch circle and then the next couple of times they will still be grouped tight but be about 3-4 inches left of where I am shooting. I assume I am doing something wrong, gripping the bow to tight, or something like that but was wondering if anybody has any ideas for me?? I am shooting Carbon Impact Fat Shaft XLT 6500 arrows with field tips.

Which happens more often, the direct hits or the left grouping?

I always had a problem with hitting left of my target. Turns out I had a poor grip. I had a guy at Cabin Fever work with me and he taught me a new grip. I've become very consistant ever since.

A proper grip is kind of hard to explain since it has to sit just right on the base of your thumb. It felt unnatural at first because I had grown accustomed to my improper grip. Once I started practicing it I got lots better.

Very nice purchase in the Tomkat by the way. My friend bought that as his first bow and he loves it. I really like shooting it too.

Another thing I thought of is if you're creeping your hand forward right before oyu pull the trigger. This could take the tension off your grip just enough to lean it to the left (assuming you're right handed). I did that too. I always wanted to move my hand rather than just pull the trigger.

powerstroke,

do you happen to drive a brown truck that currently has a 4 wheeler in the back i keep seeing that truck and since you are from eden prairie i figured it might be you

I'm with powerstroke on this one... Its either grip, or anchor... and I am leaning a bit twards anchor and not the grip.. and creeping is a form of bad anchor.. make sure you have that bow at full draw the exact same every time!

Do you have a kisser button and peep sight?

It happens more often that I hit to the left of where I am aiming. I have a peep sight on my bow but no kisser. I will try to make sure my grip isn't moving the bow to the left and make sure my hand isn't creeping forward next time I go out and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice and if anybody else has idea's let me know.

Xedge - Good chance its an inconsistant grip or your slightly grabbing as you release. Lots of people do this. I shoot with a sling and an completely open bow hand. Or try shooting with a open hand but just close your pointer finger around the grip. If you bow is balanced so it just sits in you hand or slightly tips forward on the shot then it is easier to shoot with an open hand...

No David the brown truck not me. I own a silver Nissan Xterra. We just moved the the west side of EP.

I think there are some great suggestions and considerations here. Nothing beats working with experience, if you can't definitively eliminate this problem, I owld go to a pro shop where someone knowledgable can watch you shoot and evaluate the problem.

I have the same bow and the same problem.

I think I have it sighted in, then the next time I go out I'm shooting left again. I have moved my sights to the left about 3 or 4 times now.

I also suspect that my No-Peep might be part of the problem.

Have you fixed the problem yet?

Personally I've seen the No-peep on several bows and although it works as a great anchor trainer, it will not be effective if you continue to move your sights to compensate for poor form.

My friend finally took his off after he missed every deer he fired at last season. There are too many things to concentrate on with a no-peep while you're hunting. He was also shooting a Bowtech Tomcat, but he didn't miss to one side, he was just too inconsistant with it installed.

I would say get a peep reinstalled until you figure out the problem with your form. Then bring back the no-peep to see if it works for you. I never liked it, but I know people who swear by them.

I also shoot a no peep on my bow, the archery innovations one. I also had the shooting to the left problem and kept adjusting my pins. Then I asked a few buddies I shoot with to watch me shoot. They noticed that whenever I shot with my bow hand fully extended "fingers out" the problem seemed to disappear. And when I gripped the handle I must be toqureing the bow. Problem solved. Just keep practicing with good form.

As far as the no peep goes and having too many things to concentrate on while hunting, I do not think that is true. I don't really even need it on my bow anymore. I have a kisser button on there with it and whenever I draw back now I am right on my anchor. I still check it but probably do not need to since I hit the same anchor everytime with it. It all comes down to practice practice practice and a safety glance at the no peep never hurts to be sure you are on the money and boost the confidence. If need be just make sure you are in-line and look at the pins, again that comes with practice, don't focus on the no peep so much that you out think every shot.

Keep the arrows flying,

Chad

I went out tonight and tried shooting keeping my fingers curled around the bow but not putting much if any pressure onto the bow itself. It seemed to help some as the arrows went more where I was aiming. I will keep shooting and see how it goes.

The Eden Prairie Park range in is Staring Lake park but its in a really obscure place. It is in the SE corner of the park and accessed by a seperate parking lot on Pioneer Trl. If you go to the parking lot for the playground and ampitheater area then go further east on Pioneer. The lot is on the other side of the softball fields. This is where the new dog park is. The archery range is a short walk down the path. You can see it form the parking lot.

Otherwise I go to Cabin Fever Sports in Victoria. They are right on Hwy 5 as you come into town. They have a 20yd indoor range and a complete archery pro shop. They are also the new sponser of the Archery boards here so I wanted to give them a shout. I've been going there for years to get my bow worked on. Great stuff and great staff too!!

Cabin Fever sounds like a great place for a newbie like me to go and ask questions and by more gear! I found the Staring lake range pretty nice! I was expecting a couple bails of hay and bring your own target type of set up for free.

The Staring Lake range got brand new foam targets this year. They were ordered for the new archery leagues through the parks and rec. dept. They were hay bales last year and I bropke several arrows off in them cause they SUCKED!!.

Hopefully they will maintaina nd replace the foam targets with more foam.

Cabin Fever is great. I bring my 6yr old there to shoot with me and they really know how to take care of their customers. DOn't wait too late to get work done though. They get pretty backed up the week or two before season starts.